Intermittent Internet connections
forrestadmire

In an attempt to diagnose my intermittent internet connections I am posting here for some help with deciphering what my Tracert results mean. Any insight and help ppl can give is appreciated. As a small background know that I am using a signal booster in order to receive signal from a tower that is upwards of 10 miles away from me. I use a 3G Franklin 526A mifi.

tracert 3 and 4.png

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent Internet connections
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The response from Google DNS (8.8.8.8) appears to be decent.

Its the response from Google.com that is killing you.  You can see the first hop to 10.70.0.2 is taking you over 2seconds/2000ms.  TraceRoute should be using ICMP to ping targets in both situations.  The results from your machine to this one should be the same.  I'd start looking here for more clues.

Whois® | Tools | IP Lookup

IP Location Finder - Geolocation

192.168.5.1 is a private IP. This your local VZW device acting as the router

10.70.0.2 is a private IP, some other local device

84.16.10.113 is something in Spain?  Telefonica

5.53.1.246 is also something in Spain? Telefonica again

108.170.x.x is Google, but its a server registered to California, US

Are you attempting to use Verizon internationally in this situation?  That would explain several performance problems.  In this case it would appear that VZW is routing you through Spain instead of US based service providers.

> As a small background know that I am using a signal booster in order to receive signal from a tower that is upwards of 10 miles away from me. I use a 3G Franklin 526A mifi.

You would want to retest your results again without the assistance of your signal booster. Its important to collect information from a normal situation to confirm the device is functioning correctly before you add in your customizations and environment variables.

0 Likes