MIFI 2200 password
scrappinmama

I want my MIFI 2200 to require a password be entered each time it is accessed. Can someone tell me how to set this. I have others in the house, who also have wireless internet access, but because of their gaming they have overages, so I want to prevent them from accessing mine. I know they have simply by the fact that in 5 days I allegedly used 3 G's? NO WAY! Especially since I haven't used that much in an entire month since having the device! Anyway, if someone can help me, I would certainly appreciate it.

0 Likes
Re: MIFI 2200 password
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

The MiFi requires a WPA password to connect. The default password is on a label on the device. However, you can log in to the console (http://192.168.1.1) and change it to anything you want.  This should fix your problem. Unless you disabled the password no one should have been able to use the MiFi without your knowledge, unless you left it around and someone wrote down the WPA passphrase.

scrappinmama wrote:

I want my MIFI 2200 to require a password be entered each time it is accessed. Can someone tell me how to set this. I have others in the house, who also have wireless internet access, but because of their gaming they have overages, so I want to prevent them from accessing mine. I know they have simply by the fact that in 5 days I allegedly used 3 G's? NO WAY! Especially since I haven't used that much in an entire month since having the device! Anyway, if someone can help me, I would certainly appreciate it.

0 Likes
scrappinmama

That's exactly what I believe has happened. Someone within my household has been signing into my connection for their gaming which has cause a tremendous jump in my usage!! I only recently figured out that I could go wifi with it instead of WWAN. I created a new password, however, upon signin, opening my connection, or turning it on, whatever you want to call it, I don't have to enter a password. Apparently it is stored and therefore the system does not ask for a password when I sign into my service. I want it to require the password before you can sign in to my service and hopefully this will stop the extra usage of my wireless connection. So, how do I fix it so that a password is required to be entered every time someone signs on to the service. How do I do that? I know it's going to be something really simple, but I have no clue and don't want to really mess things up!! HELP!! PLEASE!!

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

scrappinmama wrote:

That's exactly what I believe has happened. Someone within my household has been signing into my connection for their gaming which has cause a tremendous jump in my usage!! I only recently figured out that I could go wifi with it instead of WWAN. I created a new password, however, upon signin, opening my connection, or turning it on, whatever you want to call it, I don't have to enter a password. Apparently it is stored and therefore the system does not ask for a password when I sign into my service. I want it to require the password before you can sign in to my service and hopefully this will stop the extra usage of my wireless connection. So, how do I fix it so that a password is required to be entered every time someone signs on to the service. How do I do that? I know it's going to be something really simple, but I have no clue and don't want to really mess things up!! HELP!! PLEASE!!

Thre are two passwords, one to log in to the console at 192.168.1.1 when connected via WiFi (not cable) and the second is a WiFi password. You can change the WiFi password on the Security screen. Be sure to click Save. You will then be prompted for the WiFi password the first time you connect. 

Your problem is that anyone who has physical acess to the MiFi can reset it to factory settings with a paperclip, so you also need to lock it away where no one can do this.

If your household is that dysfunctional perhaps you need a USB modem rather than a WiFi.

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

Your problem is that anyone who has physical acess to the MiFi can reset it to factory settings with a paperclip, so you also need to lock it away where no one can do this.

If your household is that dysfunctional perhaps you need a USB modem rather than a WiFi.

When you reset to factory defaults, what is the WiFi password?

It's on a sticker on the unit, which I peeled off.

I take pictures of all the labels on my new gadgets, and I have a text file that includes that initial password, so I have it, but what about other folks in the world?

Is there a way to deduce the default password?

If someone did do that, the poster would no longer be able to automatically connect to a different password, so it would be obvious.

--

Clarence

0 Likes