MIFI 4510l speed issue
joemmcghhi

Mfif 4510L 4G LTE speed has deterioated to .25 to .40mbps from 1.5 to high of 6.2mbps. anyone else experiencing this issue. I've done battery pull, sim removal with no positive results. filed a trouble ticket with support but no response to date. I have excellent signal and -68db to -73db most days. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: MIFI 4510l speed issue
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hi Joe,

Performance problems like the one you listed should be correctable with the various levels of resets.  The only other reset that you did not mention was restoring the defaults by pressing the reset button next to the battery.  I have found that the reset button can produce different results than just powering down and removing the SIM.

Level 3 Reset

1. Power on the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Press and hold the Reset button next to the battery for 10 seconds
  4. Watch the MiFi E-Ink display to see if all the icons are displayed   
  5. Release the Reset button
  6. Reassemble the MiFi
  7. Test your connection

Try out these steps and let us know how it goes.

0 Likes
joemmcghhi

Hi John,

Gave it a try this morning; no improvement, but thanks for the suggestion. I've tried multiple setting combinations none seem to improve the service. It's either the device or network in my opinion. I'll give VZW a couple of more days to respond to trouble ticket but seems from looking at community postings 4510L is an ongoing problem with issues. At my current abysmal speed anything beyond searching web or email is a joke and certainly no where near the stated speeds.

My local phone company has a variety of plans with excellent mbps speeds whcih appears to be my best alternative. I will lose portability when travelling but with host of available wi-fi hotels it shouldn't present a major problem.

Again, thanks for the suggestion and hope you are having a better experience with the service.

Joe.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Those are some poor numbers, especially for 4G LTE.  If the resets are not helping then there may not be anything else to try besides replacing the device or canceling the service.  Your signal strength does not look like its an issue so a antenna/amplifier will not help.  There are no other configurations that you can try to improve performance either.

Unless VZW can confirm there is a service problem in your area then the next step is hardware replacement.  It sounds like your speeds were acceptable at one time so lets hope they do the right thing and replace your hardware under warranty and free of charge.  If not then discuss with VZW your options for terminating their service with a discount for the time you were not able to use the device.

0 Likes
evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

Does it happen at all hours or just doing Peak Times?  Also how much data have you used?  Verizon has been known to throttle customers.

0 Likes
joemmcghhi

WORKS great at 3:00am but during the day it's abysmal. Contacted executive office and the network engineers are working on it but I beleive it's spectrum, capacity or traffic whatever you want to call it. I would love to stay with VZW but not at these speeds. We'll see what happens but I'm not holding my breadth, it's clearly not the device but the network!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

VZW has started to enforce Optimization which is not the same thing as throttling.  If you were throttled then your speed would never get better and would stay that way for 2 months at a time. 

What you described here sounds more like Optimization where your bandwidth is de-prioritized to the bottom of the totem pole.  You basically get whats left for bandwidth on your local towers.  VZW would have contacted you to inform you that you were being optimized.  Optimization should not effect 4G LTE devices such as the MiFi 4510L.  Optimization is intended for unlimited 3G only contracts.

0 Likes
joemmcghhi

John,

Thanks for info never notified of optimization and 3G phones working fine except for certain spots when traveling that must be low signal areas. As for Mifi 4510L works fine in the wee hours of the morning but once more people would be accessing service speed drops below unacceptable. VZW engineers supposedly working on problem, no updates! I really think it's a traffic, capacity, spectrum or whatever correct terminology is for the problem. Local phone company offering 10Mbps for less than VZW for a year, leaning to that service. Lose portability but gain ability to adequately download software, utilize YouTube and gaming opportunities. Reports from many neighbors support reliability of phone company speeds. Maybe someday VZW will deliver reliable 4G LTE in my area. We were thinking of upgrading phones but with this problem think we'll stick with 3G phones for now.

Appreciate the update, hope all going well for you.

Joe.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hello Joe!

I would like to look into this issue further for you. Could you please DM me your mobile number and full name?

Thank you,

Katie H

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
j2catfish

The problem you describe fits me to a "T" also.  We have no 4G service in my area.  The MiFi was working good for the 30 day free trial but has now started giving problems: Once I am on line, it (the 4510L) will just stop/freeze sometimes for longer than several minutes.  This device is a research killer.  It doesn't work much better for simple e-mails.  My 3G phones operate OK; have used them all over the country. Like you, I think I might go back to cable modem - never had a problem with throttling or any other degraded condition. On-the-road, there are plenty of free wifi hot spots that I can and have utilized.  Please post any fix you might find.

Thanks,
Catfish

0 Likes