MiFi 2200 "Hotspot" is hot allright. Is heat a problem?
Jaypse

I've had the MiFi 2200 for almost two weeks and it seems to perform as advertised but the heat it puts off has me wondering about one of the things so often mentioned in reviews;  namely they talk about leaving it in your bag or a pocket.  That just seems out of the question to me due to heat.  In fact, I had it in my bag in a relatively open spot and it was extremely hot.  It actually shut down although now I don't know if it was out of power or if the heat shut it down.  In any case, just sitting on a desk it's noticeably warm so how can anyone possibly put this in a confined space?  Is it just my unit and should I bring it back or is this just the way it is?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: MiFi 2200 "Hotspot" is hot allright. Is heat a problem?
gsulli6873
You're quite right about the heat.  I used my MiFi at length today for the first time and the heat was worrisome.  I'll follow up if I get any information. 
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
I just got a mifi yesteday.  It gets warm, but not what I'd call "hot".
0 Likes
Re: MiFi 2200 "Hotpot's" Is hot allright. Is heat a problem?
cbod

I just got the mifi2200 almost 30 days ago. It definitely gets hot after all use. I haven't carried It in bag or covered It up. Can't It wont get signal and if even a little too far wont work. It Is SOOOO slow.. 

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there another card faster??

Even my last PC USB card I got 8 months ago was faster but USB Is too cumbersome and not user friendly for working.

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

PRESUMING you have a good 3G signal where you use the Mifi you should be getting 400-1.3Mb/s speed.  Have you run speedtest to verify up/download speeds?  My MiFi has worked well just about everywhere I've been including all the way from San Jose to LA and back.  Is your region well served by Verizons 3G network?

I have a very nice Netgear router sitting in my home office at the front of my home.  Despite it providing a signal as far away as 125 feet in some directions, there is a very low signal strength spot at our bed at the back of the house.  When I lose the home wifi signal, I found the best thing for me to do is turn on the MiFi nearby and I'll be cruising the net on my Touch or netbook far faster than what I get with a weak signal from my Netgear.  Signal strength is important to the speed you will experience.

I had a Storm for a week and had  very slow download speeds in my home thru the 3G network; but the MiFi picks up the network quite well and gives a faster experience on line with my Touch than the Storm did.  Outside my home, the MiFi is even faster--providing speeds around 1Mb/s.

First thing I'd do is determine for SURE that the 3G network signal is strong in your area.

0 Likes
cbod

I don't have avail. of a router, cablemodem, dcl in my area, just the cards or that avenue. i have a vz cell which works fine in my area and house minus two spots. i use the card all over house and in my office it works fine. haven't traveled with 2200, but other pc card was fine minus usb, ie why i got the 2200.

don't know how to test signal strengh.

love idea of no wires to laptop. I have a MAC laptop.

need faster service any service

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

Let me make sure I've got this right:  you have a wireless card that works great in the same areas, and  it's also on the VZN, but the 2200 doesn't provide good speed?

I keep my 2200 in a fabric sleeve my wife sewed for it, complete with velcroed flap--works great and the 2200 only gets warm--quite warm, but not any warmer than several cell phones I've used over the years, so I don't worry about it.  Small electronics with a heavy load on them ARE going to get warm (some call it "hot").  If it's not so hot as to literally hurt your hand, I wouldn't worry about it--no way is it going to be cool to the touch after it's been on a while.

0 Likes
Jaypse

So, I had to come back with my report on the second unit that I obtained after suffering rediculous customer disservice attitudes at my local Verizon store.  That's another story but the good news is that the new unit has performed as advertised and I'm satisfied with it.  It makes clear that my first unit was not okay.  This one cycles through the LED lights properly charging and discharging and has advertised battery life.  Also doesn't get nearly as hot.

Anyway, I should probably buy the device insurance on this item.  I wonder if I still can?

So, I'm on my way on what I hope will be good performance for at least the two year agreement.  If you're having any deviation from advertised specs with your unit, return it while you can.

Good luck and thanks to the community for your replies! 

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
My first unit had some sort of defect--it periodically showed a flashing red indicator, despite the battery being fully charged.  The second unit that I have has never done that and otherwise works well.  If it stops working, you can bet I'll be at the store asking for a replacement.
0 Likes
blackwidowinsc
Contributor - Level 1
I have noticed that my MiFi gets hot after lengthy use.  I only notice it when I'm placing it back into my bag after use, so I let it sit a few minutes before placing it back into the sleeve that is attached to my laptop bag.
0 Likes