MiFi 2200 speed tips
deric

For anyone using their new MiFi 2200 (which rocks, by the way!), I have some speed tips:

1. If after you activate it, the speed is very slow, disconnect it from the USB port and power it off and back on again. This got it up to Rev A speeds.

2. If you're using a Mac, consider not using the VZ Access Manager after it's been activated - just use the profile in System Settings -> Network

3. While tethering it to your computer will charge the Mifi and allow you to access the internet through the USB port, I found that I get higher speeds by disconnecting the MiFi from PC/Mac, moving it close to a window and connecting wirelessly through the wireless card/Airport.

If anyone else has any tips for increasing the speed/throughput, please post! 

Message Edited by deric on 05-23-2009 11:33 AM
0 Likes
Re: MiFi 2200 speed tips
bluematt22

Hi, I'm wondering what kind of speed you're getting from the mifi at your home.  How does it compare to your dsl or cable modem?  What service is that?  Just wondering, at some point I'd love to cut more detach from even more wires if I can but not sure how much I would give up in terms of speed. 

Bluematt

0 Likes
deric

I've tried my MiFi at several work locations and at home and the download speed varies between 1500 - 2500 (which compares to AT&T DSL) and upload speeds approaching 500-1200 which is much faster than AT&T DSL typically.

I have Cox Communications high speed internet now, though, and I can get 25,000 download speeds (with their speed booster) and I think it's 40GB limit per month.

Since Verizon's $60/month service is 5GB limit per month, I need both since I download large files that would cause me to quickly blow by the 5GB cap.

If you all you do is web browsing, email and small video clips, you may be able to get by with only your wireless service.

Good luck. 

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
I get marginal speeds with it in my home, just like I got lousy service on our Storms.  Outside my home, the data network signal is much stronger.  Just an ordinary wood framed/stucco house...
0 Likes