MiFi Reception in Rural Area
ckharrison
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am looking into replacing my satellite internet provider with a MiFi.  The location is a rural area that has no other broadband coverage.  Is there a way to improve the signal strength of the MiFi through some sort of antenna?

Tags (1)
Re: MiFi Reception in Rural Area
Bunky
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am new to the forum and looking for some help. Maybe someone out there can help both of us. I am u... Does the wireless device that handles up to 5 computers work any better than the USB 760?

Thanks

Bunky
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recent Searches

I am using a USB 760 device. The VZAccess manager is not showing any bars for the signal. It used to show 2-3 bars. Everything is slow to load. Is there a better device? What can be done to improve signal reception. I had an antennae for my previous device a USB 740, (I think), but it won't fit the 760. My previous post dropped this from the body.

Thanks

PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

ckharrison wrote:

I am looking into replacing my satellite internet provider with a MiFi.  The location is a rural area that has no other broadband coverage.  Is there a way to improve the signal strength of the MiFi through some sort of antenna?

Not really, just position it as high as you can. However, the real issue is the available service. While EVDO can provide up to 1.5 Mbps service, the older network 1xRTT is slower than dialup. So make sure EVDO is available in your area; it is NOT universally available.

Also, check out all carriers for available coverage. All of the US carriers offer some sort of 3G service; chose the one that has the best local coverage.

If its your primary Internet access be sure that 5 GB/month is enough. It's unbelievably expensive if you go over 5 GB. There are carriers that still offer unlimited, but Verizon is not one of them.

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

Bunky wrote:

I am new to the forum and looking for some help. Maybe someone out there can help both of us. I am u... Does the wireless device that handles up to 5 computers work any better than the USB 760?

Thanks

The MiFi uses the same network as your 760, so it has an advantage only if you need to connect more than one computer.

You may be able to improve reception by putting the 760 on the end of an extension cable. If the signal had been better call Verizon; they may be having a network problem.

(I know, calling Verizon for anything is extraordinarily painful given the interactive voice response system that seems designed to prevent communication with a human being, but it is really the only practical option.) 

0 Likes
backcountry

This is a link where we found  a signal amplifier solution that helps tremendously since we live 10 miles from a landline, and 30 mi. from a cell tower. We now have dependable cell coverage from Verizon. (went from 0 bars, to 2 or 3)They are very helpful on the phone to find a solution that fits your circumstance. http://powerfulsignal.com . I am currently looking into the possibility of doing the same thing, so am interested to hear what kind of luck other remote users have had.

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

Look here for a solution for your mifi

Wilson Sleek Signal Booster for MiFi

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2188

Get a strong signal even if out in the county.....

Dont forget an extended battery that will give your MIFI 12 HOURS of use

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2445

0 Likes