MiFi drops into 1x and doesn't kick back up to 3G.
Gobeta

So I use my MiFi2200 on the train when commuting into work. As I pass through various coverage areas, the device will drop down into the 1x mode and service is noticeably slower. That is fine, but it never kicks back up into 3G. It seems that if there is traffic across the connection, the device/service doesn't know 3G is even available. 

I can be stopped at a station and it will not bump back up until I disconnect and wait 10 or more seconds before reconnecting.

Any ideas? This is valid with other Verizon customers on the train too.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: MiFi drops into 1x and doesn't kick back up to 3G.
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

Gobeta wrote:

So I use my MiFi2200 on the train when commuting into work. As I pass through various coverage areas, the device will drop down into the 1x mode and service is noticeably slower. That is fine, but it never kicks back up into 3G. It seems that if there is traffic across the connection, the device/service doesn't know 3G is even available. 

I can be stopped at a station and it will not bump back up until I disconnect and wait 10 or more seconds before reconnecting.

Any ideas? This is valid with other Verizon customers on the train too.

Thanks!

I would check to see if the firmware is the latest.

My MiFi will toggle back and forth between 1x and EVDO if I am in a poor coverage area.

It seems to work on either.

My advanced diagnostics screen shows

Model: MiFi2200 VZW

AP:     11.47.17

Router: 031.0201

Modem: 169

I haven't noticed if traffic cause a delay in the toggling or not.

--

Clarence

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

ClarDold wrote

I would check to see if the firmware is the latest.

My MiFi will toggle back and forth between 1x and EVDO if I am in a poor coverage area.

Maybe it only toggles as the signal level changes, and EVDO is stonrger than 1XRTT.

As I'm watching mine now, it is not toggling.  It is on 1xRTT, but the Advanced-Diags-Modem Status shows the EVDO at -117 dBm and the 1X at -102dBm.

--

clarence

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes
Gobeta

Not sure where to find that data.

Again this is while the device is connected. If it is not connected I can watch it toggle up and down.

Firmware appears to be 167 from Oct 2010.

0 Likes
Gobeta

And who marked this as Solved? Doesn't seem solved until it is actually fixed.

0 Likes
Gobeta

Wireless Device:
    Manufacturer: Novatel Wireless Incorporated
    Model: MiFi2200 VZW
    Modem Name: Novatel Wireless Modem
    Firmware Version: Q6085BDRAGONFLY_V167.029 [Oct 02 2010 23:03:22]
    ESN: 091-03919093 (5B3BCCF5)
    PRL Version: 52298
    ERI Version: 4

Home SID: 40
    Activated: Yes
    RSSI (1xRTT): -79 dBm
    RSSI (1xEVDO): -73 dBm
    Battery: 100
    Capabilities: 1xEVDO (Rev-A) Digital Data, SMS, NDIS, GPS

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

ClarDold wrote:

I changed my mind...

It might be that if it goes from EVDO to 1xRTT, and then loses the 1xRTT, it will find the EVDO signal if it is available.

But today, I was on EVDO quite nicely, sitting in my car in a parking lot.  I drove somewhere, came back to the parking lot, and noticed I was 1xRTT.  I tried moving the MiFi around to different places in the car, different views of the "sky".

The diagnostics screen continued to show -117 dBm for EVDO, but 1xRTT would vary a few dBm around -80, depending on where it was located.

I power cycled the MiFi 2200, and it is now connected EVDO, -70 dBm.

The 1xRTT is at -79 dBm

I don't think it will return to EVDO under whatever case it had today, without a power cycle.

--

Clarence

0 Likes