MiFi keeps sampling or pinging using bandwidth
Helmar
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not sure if I can explain this right.

I have Hughesnet with a 475MB bandwidth cap.

It was the reason for trying the Verizon MiFi's 1 GB service.

What I notice is the MiFi, on a Static web page, all Updates turned Off, keeps pinging or sampling. Meaning the light keeps blnking from time to time for no reason I can understand.

Makes no difference if I am tethered or wifi.

I can watch the VZAccess in the Status and watch it as it uses bandwidth for what ???

Check this out.

I can go almost a full month with the Hughesnets 475Mb.

I have not been using the MiFi other than testing, not downloading Mega things but what I call our, Normal usage.

After about 6 days now, I see that I have used 436.245 MB....Again, Normal Monthly usage but with the Pinging or Sampling, its sucking up bandwidth...

Anyone have an answer to this ??

Thanks.

Helmar

0 Likes
Re: MiFi keeps sampling or pinging using bandwidth
Helmar
Enthusiast - Level 3

Helmar wrote:

Not sure if I can explain this right.

I have Hughesnet with a 475MB bandwidth cap.

It was the reason for trying the Verizon MiFi's 1 GB service.

What I notice is the MiFi, on a Static web page, all Updates turned Off, keeps pinging or sampling. Meaning the light keeps blnking from time to time for no reason I can understand.

Makes no difference if I am tethered or wifi.

I can watch the VZAccess in the Status and watch it as it uses bandwidth for what ???

Check this out.

I can go almost a full month with the Hughesnets 475Mb.

I have not been using the MiFi other than testing, not downloading Mega things but what I call our, Normal usage.

After about 6 days now, I see that I have used 436.245 MB....Again, Normal Monthly usage but with the Pinging or Sampling, its sucking up bandwidth...

Anyone have an answer to this ??

Thanks.

Helmar

I think I found out what is going on with this.

Seems as its called Phantom Data and there is a suit over it on the "Other" big telco vendor.

They are working on making it a Class Action suit so I am keeping my eye on the outcome.

Seems that we all are paying for Phantom data.....

0 Likes
roknroot
Enthusiast - Level 3

Keep me updated as well this is bull,, download networx you can see the pinging in real time yea its happening. what can we do ???

0 Likes
Helmar
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have not used my MiFi for about a week now.

Now that I turn it on and check it out with the VZAccess program, I noticed, Whow, what happend here ???

I mean the last time I used it, it was 653.???

Now I turn it on to check again, its over 906.???

Whats with this Verizon ????

I left you  my phone number and times to call, and NO CALL..... No anwer to my questions but you sure don't mind screwing me with this MiFi thing...

Well, I didn't do your 2 year contract, I bought this thing second hand, then bought 1 GIG and a pay as you go as a test.....

YOU FAILED.

This thing keeps sucking bandwidth for no reason, no anwer so something needs done..

You put a deaf ear on this problem that I have as well as others???

So, How may other people are getting charged for bandwidth they are not using ????

0 Likes