Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiFi keeps sampling or pinging using bandwidth
Helmar

Not sure if I can explain this right.

I have Hughesnet with a 475MB bandwidth cap.

It was the reason for trying the Verizon MiFi's 1 GB service.

What I notice is the MiFi, on a Static web page, all Updates turned Off, keeps pinging or sampling. Meaning the light keeps blnking from time to time for no reason I can understand.

Makes no difference if I am tethered or wifi.

I can watch the VZAccess in the Status and watch it as it uses bandwidth for what ???

Check this out.

I can go almost a full month with the Hughesnets 475Mb.

I have not been using the MiFi other than testing, not downloading Mega things but what I call our, Normal usage.

After about 6 days now, I see that I have used 436.245 MB....Again, Normal Monthly usage but with the Pinging or Sampling, its sucking up bandwidth...

Anyone have an answer to this ??

Thanks.

Helmar

0 Likes
Re: MiFi keeps sampling or pinging using bandwidth
Helmar

Helmar wrote:

Not sure if I can explain this right.

I have Hughesnet with a 475MB bandwidth cap.

It was the reason for trying the Verizon MiFi's 1 GB service.

What I notice is the MiFi, on a Static web page, all Updates turned Off, keeps pinging or sampling. Meaning the light keeps blnking from time to time for no reason I can understand.

Makes no difference if I am tethered or wifi.

I can watch the VZAccess in the Status and watch it as it uses bandwidth for what ???

Check this out.

I can go almost a full month with the Hughesnets 475Mb.

I have not been using the MiFi other than testing, not downloading Mega things but what I call our, Normal usage.

After about 6 days now, I see that I have used 436.245 MB....Again, Normal Monthly usage but with the Pinging or Sampling, its sucking up bandwidth...

Anyone have an answer to this ??

Thanks.

Helmar

I think I found out what is going on with this.

Seems as its called Phantom Data and there is a suit over it on the "Other" big telco vendor.

They are working on making it a Class Action suit so I am keeping my eye on the outcome.

Seems that we all are paying for Phantom data.....

0 Likes
roknroot

Keep me updated as well this is bull,, download networx you can see the pinging in real time yea its happening. what can we do ???

0 Likes
Helmar

I have not used my MiFi for about a week now.

Now that I turn it on and check it out with the VZAccess program, I noticed, Whow, what happend here ???

I mean the last time I used it, it was 653.???

Now I turn it on to check again, its over 906.???

Whats with this Verizon ????

I left you  my phone number and times to call, and NO CALL..... No anwer to my questions but you sure don't mind screwing me with this MiFi thing...

Well, I didn't do your 2 year contract, I bought this thing second hand, then bought 1 GIG and a pay as you go as a test.....

YOU FAILED.

This thing keeps sucking bandwidth for no reason, no anwer so something needs done..

You put a deaf ear on this problem that I have as well as others???

So, How may other people are getting charged for bandwidth they are not using ????

0 Likes