Mifi 4510L Mifi Hotspot...is it the network? and what about the firmware update?
kescom11

I have spent several months trying to seek a solution on the repeated and frequent disconnects from the Verizon wireless network using my Mifi 4510 L.  No success.  I have conversed with Verizon Wireless "experts" on this matter and have basically been ignored, since they do not have a solution. It has cost me a pretty penny in wireless costs due to lost connections in downloads, etc...for which I do not get any credit from Verizon on my wireless bill...go figure.

I have even been accused by Verizon that the problem is my computer and hardware, even though I have ran several hardware, software, and "real-life" connection checks on other wireless networks with no issues at all.  I even have been getting better connectivity when I use my Verizon USB UML290...but I hate having to switch moving my SIM card from the USB Modem to the MIfi4510L...one of these days the SIM card will fail. Verizon has checked the signal strength at my home and work locations (which I already knew as good), but never heard back from them.

Anyway,  I have verified that my wireless network adapter works just fine on other wireless networks (no dropouts, etc).  I have even upgraded to another Windows Operating System - Windows 7...which is more superior than Vista in dealing with wireless communications.  I have implemented quite a number of the solutions provided by other great Verizon Wireless Community members, but the connectivity problems continue to occur.

When I did a review of my wireless hardware logs, I noticed that when I was encountering problems, the dynamically assigned address given to me on the Verizon Wireless network changed quite a bit, even when I was using the same web site. When my wireless connection worked fine, the dynamically assigned address was consistent.  This seemed to change when I encounter peak network load times. 

I would appreciate a straight answer from Verizon Wireless on what is going on with the network.  I live in a solid 3G coverage area...but just far away from 4G to benefit for the increased throughput.  The closest 4G location footprint is about 40 miles away from me.

Finally, what about the Mifi 4510 L firmware update?  I have yet to see any notification about this firmware update, either through normal e-mail channels or even through my Mifi configuration site

http://192.168.1.1/mifi.cgi

What gives?

I realize that I am sounding a little perturbed about this matter, but it has been almost 4 months now...and Verizon is not living up to their part of the bargain on providing good tech support on the Mifi 4510L.  When they do not have an answer...they ignore the customer.   Not good business!!!

Kevin Smith

Metropolis, IL

0 Likes
Re: Mifi 4510L Mifi Hotspot...is it the network? and what about the firmware update?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

kescom11 wrote:

Finally, what about the Mifi 4510 L firmware update?  I have yet to see any notification about this firmware update, either through normal e-mail channels or even through my Mifi configuration site 

The firmware update was released a few weeks ago and there were multiple threads in this forum for it:

Software Update: Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi™ 4510L

The firmware update primarily addresses a problem with the MiFi switching from 3G to 4G and back.  I would not expect it to resolve a connection issue for anyone in a 3G only area.  Work through the firmware update instructions included in the link above and see if it helps. 

There were no email notifications but the MiFi should have been redirecting you to the MiFi homepage every time you tried to browse the internet.  The firmware update is mandatory so if you have not already completed the update then there might be something wrong with your device. 

0 Likes
Re: Mifi 4510L Mifi Hotspot...is it the network? and what about the firmware update?
werd0213

Just purchased this device yesterday, and it doesn't switch from 3g to 4g automatically.  This is the 2nd device I had.  I purchased the first one, same problem, and returned it rather than getting someone's used device, I purchased a second one.

I know it's the firmware, as when I pull the battery out, power it on, whatever it will only connect to 3g.  When I force it to use "LTE only" it works fine.  The modem software log says that "lte is not available"

Who is making these things anyway?? (i'm being retorical, as a sarcastic comment will most likely follow here..)

I'm going back to my trusty 2200.  If I'm going to only get 3g, I might as well have a smaller, less battery intensive device.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I agree , I travel all the time in a truck with husband so I am not normally in one place very long at all and moving  for at least 10 hours / day .  I  have had nothing but problems with this Mifi and I very rarely get to use 4G , infact my usage went up 2 gigs last month due to having to reload my pages constantly as the service became unavailable . I do not see any faster  internet and my old 3G usb plug  worked just fine  .   I now have to have my 4G device set to CDMA Auto  so it never goes to 4G as the reverting was causing this problem .. I believe the 4G Mifi to be  Useless and falsely marketed .

0 Likes
Not applicable

I have had the same problem and my usage increased by 2 gigs last month. I had to set mine to CDMA AUTO  so that now it doesn't even try to go to 4 G unless i change it .  Has worked much better , but why am I sitting on a 4G device which is useless ?? 

It was falsely marketed and Verizon should be issuing a continuous credit to all of us who have been misled ..

0 Likes
tlnicodemus

I was using the Alltel card and now that I have (what I thought was an upgrade) this device I am very unhappy with it's on off internet which at this moment I am sitting next to a Verizon 4G tower at the office and it is still having the same issues. I haven't even had it a month! Again another disappointment with Verizon!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

tlnicodemus wrote:

I was using the Alltel card and now that I have (what I thought was an upgrade) this device I am very unhappy with it's on off internet which at this moment I am sitting next to a Verizon 4G tower at the office and it is still having the same issues. I haven't even had it a month! Again another disappointment with Verizon!

Just because you are close to a tower does not mean that your device will work perfectly.  As we have seen many times before your issue may have nothing to do with signal strength at all.

Rather than clutter up this thread please feel free to start a new thread so we can share some troubleshooting steps.  This thread is old and may not be related to your issue anyways.  You will have to provide us with more specific details if you hope to recieve a specific answer.

0 Likes
tlnicodemus

OK didn't know you worked for Verizon.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Ha. You're not the first to make such an assumption. 

This is a user forum meant for user to user communication.  Verizon may chime in from time to time but this is not the best way to contact them about a problem.  They have many direct contact numbers and tools for that sort of thing.  Im a Verizon customer just like you.

0 Likes