Mobile broadband needs to be unlimited
micheledollman

I am a loyal Verizon customer with many friend/family recruits.  I am sorry to say that I am being forced to accept an early termination fee for my mifi hotspot.  It is just too easy to go over in usage.  I am done paying hundreds of dollars for this service.  Customer service has been great telling me all the sites to avoid, but it defeats the point of having it.  There is simply not enough choice indata plans when the threshhold is paying $60 or $200 a month and niether is unlimited.  Overages/reconnect fees in wireless, overdrafts in banks, fees are where they make their money and my $500 bill this month proves I succomed to it.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Mobile broadband needs to be unlimited
Not applicable
It's like most other things in life. If you manage it, you won't have a problem. If you don't manage it, then you will. NetMeter is an excellent tool for keeping track of your usage in real time.
0 Likes
tfch8184

I also would be happy if the usage was atleast a little higher than 5gb...even if its not unlimited...make it 10gb or something. I cant get internet at my house other than dial up and verizon is my only option so Im paying 120 in broadband usage to be able to stream videos (cant get cable out here either and satellite sucks).......I just manage my  usage and when I get to the point where I feel I went over 4gb I just stop using my computer and move to the other one or use my phone. Im still waiting for the Ally to get 2.2 so I can get flash on my phone and stream the website I use I to watch tv.

0 Likes
wildon883r

If Verizon does't ante up i can get unlimted mobile broadband now from Virgin Mobile for only 40 bucks a month. I feel your pain i've been putting up with this cap crap for over a year and a half now..  If i didn't have to pay for an ETF i would of dropped Verizon after the 2nd or 3rd month. 5GB of data is nothing. If they sold 1GB for $1.50 they would still be making a heavy profit considering on a national level that 1GB of data cost less then a dollar. Though i'm happy with the speed of 3G its really second rate speed compared to the rest of the world who pay alot less for mobile broadband then we do.

0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

Isn'tthat the truth....and you can thank deregulation and strong Corporate lobbying for things being exactly where they are in this country in regards to wireless. No competition to speak of, prices in lockstep with each other, incompatible technologies, contracts and carrier lock-ins, high usage charges, stingy data caps, obscene overage charges, upsells for tethering, navigation and other apps, mediocre bandwidth, Verizon-Google deals behind closed doors, and an FCC with no teeth to impose proper regulation and net neutrality. But this IS the late, great, USofA, bad economy, corporate bailouts, stimulus and all. Ain't it great?????

0 Likes
tfch8184

Ok so after debating with myself if I should call Verizon about some questions I had about my phone and also my netbooks I called and remembered at the last minute to ask about broadband limits.

From what I gathered basically the unlimited plan was dropped because of bandwith hogs and thats why it went down to 5gb. However because of so many complaints about 5gb being literally useless especially since more and more people use their computers for more than basic web browsing like music streaming tv shows etc they are planning to up the broadband usage, especially since they are going to be rolling out 4g service. Again this is what I was told... I flat out said if I would have known how easily 5gb goes then I would have said forget it and taken everything back and canceled everything phones the whole shebang. I could have gotten lesser quality reception with better data packages for cheaper but I stayed with Verizon cuz its the only service that gets full service where I live.

0 Likes
dbentley
Enthusiast - Level 1

I feel all of your pain.  We have had the 5G plan now for 5 months and have consistently gone over all but 1 month.  The problem is that we are not online very much.  We check email at night for a little bit.. I have a droid and email at work so I check email there.  My husband checks out some merchandise websites but we don't download movies or games - don't really watch utube or movie trailers, etc.. no gaming.. and still, we are over 1-3Gs each month.  We login and then log off when we're done and I even shut off the mifi card when not in use and still, we are over by almost 3G.  Our bill is very high.. each month we've been paying over $100 in overages...They did give me a credit for the first month since it was all new and I didn't know I had to log off when not in use.. my friend still has the unlimited package and I used his card as a test so I didn't have to log off.   I called Verizon last night and went into one of their stores today and no help...  The gal last night suggested upgrading to the next available data package, 10G which would cover my overages, but ah ha... the price goes way up from $59.99 for 5G to $199 for 10G.  We calculated the overages and it came to about the same amount.  This is crazy.. we only have satellite at home otherwise, we'd go back to Wild Blue which is ridiculously slow.  Any ideas.. I saw some mention of a program that monitors usage.. Might give it a try... Don't know if windows update is running in background.. oh, couldn't be that.. we're using a MAC most of the time.. No explanation for the high data usage.

Tidbits
Legend

congress will not give a crap seriously.  You have choices, and IF you don't like the deal you are given then you can go elsewhere.  Verizon isn't the only broadband company.  Verizon can do what they want with THEIR services, and if you don't like their prices or policies move on.

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

micheledollman wrote:

I am a loyal Verizon customer with many friend/family recruits.  I am sorry to say that I am being forced to accept an early termination fee for my mifi hotspot.  It is just too easy to go over in usage.  I am done paying hundreds of dollars for this service.  Customer service has been great telling me all the sites to avoid, but it defeats the point of having it.  There is simply not enough choice indata plans when the threshhold is paying $60 or $200 a month and niether is unlimited.  Overages/reconnect fees in wireless, overdrafts in banks, fees are where they make their money and my $500 bill this month proves I succomed to it.

If you need to sign up for 2 verizon wireless accounts.  It will cost you $59.99 but you can use one modem for 2 weeks and then the other for the next 2 weeks.  its like getting 10gb for $120.00

0 Likes
sixonetonoffun

Other providers are offering unlimited (with limitations) service for as little as $40 a month. Service may vary more then with a large carrier but seriously let the competition begin!

0 Likes