My Pantech 4G modem "freezes" constantly - says dormant
kevnval

Not sure why this keeps happening.  Sometimes drops, but mostly freezes and says "connection dormant".  I researched another carriers wireless USB modems, and i'm ready to switch.  1) they cheaper 2) their overages is 5cents per MB, vs. $10 per 1 byte over with Verizon.  2)  Their equipment can't be worse.    Already got new modem once.  Done firmware updates, uninstalls, reinstalls, etc.  Takes about 100 of my talk minutes onmy cell phone to do another fix...and back to same "freeze" problem, where modem will say "connected...dormant"   DOes NOT just happen in one PC.  Tried in another, and did same thing there.  You then "wait 2-3 minutes..opening new IE windows, hoping to "jump start" the darn modem.

It's "annoying" and I get "disconnected" from what I'm doing.   Upgrading to 4G was worst decision ever.  Will this ever be fixed?  Looks like no other options with Verizon as far as modems.  I'm ready to keep paying for nothing till "dec" when it can supposedly cancel (I've had Modems for like 4-5 years) and switch immediately to the other Carrier.  Because no other modems will be avail in December.  I dont have routers or antennas or whatever everyone else is discussing here on "discussion"...just the USB modem.

(However, going to try the "mobile hotspot" from the other carrier.)

0 Likes
Re: My Pantech 4G modem "freezes" constantly - says dormant
Not applicable

Hello kevnal,

We want to restore your faith in our products. This is obviously not a typical experience with our modems. The connection is reliable and stable. We want to make sure yours is as well. This sounds like there could be an issue with the actual hardware. Do you experience this problem in more than one location? Could you please DM me with the number attached to the USB Modem? I would like to get in contact with you and review your options. We want to turn your experience around, and of course want you to have service that is functioning.

Thank you,

Katie H

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Grothka
Contributor - Level 3

Just thought I would point that the overage rate of $10 per gb is much better than the $.05 per mb as long as the overage is 200mb or more (not that hard to do). .05X1024mb = $51.2 per gb in overage. So just keep that in mind

0 Likes
schnee5201

Hello-

I have been using my Pantech UML290VW since soon after 4G LTE connectivity became available, and until now have been very happy.

But recently I too have begun experiencing these disconnections when the broadband connection goes DORMANT.  It seems to have gotten much worse recently, and the maddening thing is that the only way I've found to reconnect requires quitting VZAccess Manager, removing/re-inserting the modem, and re-opeing VZAccess Manager.   Nothing has changed about how I use this equipment -- mostly on the same commuter rail routes I travel everyday, same computer (Apple MacBook Pro), no new system upgrades or anything else I can think of that might affect this.

I too am ready to jump ship because this is really hampering my productivity.

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
broadband_user

I have had the UML290 for about a year now.  At first the connection was great with 4G.  Then out of the blue I started getting this dormant issue that every one is talking about.  I called verizon, they did their usual troubleshooting and then told me that my usb device is defective.  They send me a refurbished one and the issue still continues.  It is not a usb hardware issue.  I actually read in other forums that if you continously ping something on the WAN, it will stop the connection from going dormant.  It is so true as I have tested that out today.  Also this happens if I am connected in 3G or 4G networks. 

So verizon really needs to address this issue.  I believe it is a software/firmware issue.  I did change the usb settings on my laptop to not put the device to sleep and that still did not fix the issue. 

0 Likes
SteveD_1

Let me guess--you also get the noise of a device being unplugged when it happens (i.e., the sound you get when you pull a USB connector out of a box)?

I had this same issue , with two new-out-of-the-box 290s (I even in desperation asked for a new simcard as well as just a new device), and it would happen on two different computers running two different OSes (XP and Windows 7), in three different locations (outside of colorado springs, inside Denver and in Sacramento).  I finally just had to beg them to give me my old 3G device back.

I did get the 4510 Jetpack mobile hotspot and it seems to be working better, but even then I had to return the first one which was a lemon.

0 Likes
krs225

Just found this thread by Google search. My problems started when upgrading to current Mac OS 10.8. Had no problems previously. My modem is now useless. Always 'dormant'.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi krs225!

We of course want you to have a working device and restore your faith in VZW and it's devices! I'm sorry this is happening and as a consumer as well, would want this fixed. If you are still having the issue with your modem, please feel free to send a DM to me in order to troubleshoot this further and find a resolution for you. Thanks!

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
krs225

Christina B: I just stumbled into the solution. I looked around the VZAM preferences and opened the Network Selection tab. The network was set to Global. I switched to CDMA and now it works fine.

0 Likes
mzucker

This is not a solution.  CDMA does not support 4G speeds.

0 Likes