My samsug galaxy tab...does it cost extra to use it as a wifi hot spot?
Jessicaann9607

Does it cost extra to use my tab as a wifi hot spot?

0 Likes
Re: My samsug galaxy tab...does it cost extra to use it as a wifi hot spot?
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

No. Because your tablet data plan is capped, Verizon lets you use the tethering and hotspot at no extra charge. Just keep in mind that it DOES use data from your plan so if you got a 1 gig $20 plan hotspot will burn that up in a hurry.

Frankly, I wish Verizon would do this on smartphones too. I would GLADLY give up unlimited data in exchange for tethering / hotspot included with the plan. Upselling tethering is so 1980's. The rest of the world includes teethering as part of the data plan service, though their data plans are usually capped at 3Gig or 5Gig.

Believe me, I am not going to STOP throwing this fact in US carriers' faces until they see the light and stop upselling this inherent functionality. It was always intended by OEM's to be a standard open functionality of a smartpone, not a FEATURE to be up-sold and monetized.

Verizon is offering free tethering on 4G LTE devices? GREAT. Keep it that way!!!

0 Likes
Not applicable
The 3GB plan for $35 makes the most sense to me. Each additional GB above 3GB is only $10. You could use 5GB for $55 and only pay $5 more than the 5GB plan for $50. Of course, it you always use 5GB, then get the 5GB plan.
0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Jessicaann9607,

Tablets do not need to subscribe to 3G Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connect. All usage is deducted from their Mobile Broadband plan.  We have a data calculator on our website to assist you in how much of an allowance you may need. The link is below.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/splash_includes/datacalculator.html

0 Likes
Not applicable
My Motorola Droid two-year contract expires in 6 months. When it does, I'm thinking about getting a feature phone with a qwerty keyboard for texting and getting rid of my $30 data plan. I might get a Galaxy tablet with a $35 data plan and have a better web surfing experience with "legal" tethering to my laptop. I could also get rid of my USB760 that I activate and use occassionally when traveling. Seems like a good option to fill all my needs for the lowest cost.
0 Likes