Not gripping about the 5 gig cap
jupiter837
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would love to download netflix and Itune movies and such, but like most of you I have the 5 gig cap as well. Well It's really been bothering me but I got to thinking today.  Why can't Netflix pay Verizon, or buy service from Verizon, and offer their service to us wireless customers?  It does seem a little unfair that Verizon spent all the money and time building the "the nations largest 3g network" for netflix just to piggy back ride on.  That's you building a mall and letting people open shops and stores in for free.  Right?

I don't know if works on Desktops, but Verizon has V-cast. It don't go against your data usage to download video clips and stuff from that service, and it's like ten bucks a month.   So maybe netflix could have a $20 dollar a month package where $10 of it goes to Verizon.  I'd pay twenty dollars a month to download all the movies I want.

I don't know I'm just thinking, cause I WANT TO DOWN LOAD NETFLIX MOVIES!

0 Likes
Re: Not gripping about the 5 gig cap
larrytheG

Verizon & Netflix may well come to that kind of agreement ... I think Comcast is working on similar partnerships for high bandwidth use but the problem with Verizon and the cellphone companies in general (I think) is that when they built their towers and equipped them.. they did not anticipate the ability to offer 3G - everywhere - and with sufficient bandwidth to serve everyone who might want to do large downloads.

My understanding is that Verizon is willing to see more bandwidth to those who want to pay for it... but if you are connecting to a tower that does not have unlimited bandwidth.. I suspect it can probably adequately service a certain number of "average" users but if one or two start using great gobs of bandwidth.. then the other users will see degradation of their service.

Ultimately, Verizon and the other companies will have to start upgrading their towers to handle the demand or more bandwidth but that will take money - and the trick is.. they can provide the bandwidth then collect the money... it's the other way around, they have to seek investor money to build the expansion and they have to do it in such a way that they are pretty sure they can sell the additional bandwidth enough to pay back the investors - and still make a profit.

0 Likes
jupiter837
Enthusiast - Level 3

As I understand it, in the fall of this year Verizon will start rolling out their 4g network that will be much faster than their current 3g network.  Maybe what they should do is keep their 3g network running for people who only check their e-mail and web surfing and let their 4g network be for movies and large downloads.  That way the people who use less data won't be hurt at all by people who want to download movies.  Speed wise it will not make a difference checking your e-mail at 1mb/s or 6 mb/s. Say anything over 500mbs would download off the 4g?  They could get partners like Itunes, netflix, and the other media channels to help them build out their 4g network, and their you go every body happy. LOL

Where there is a will there has got to be away.

The cable companies and land lines are working on cap systems for their services too.  They have data problems too.   But I think wireless is the way to go.  If Verizon and the other cell companies worked together with the right partners they could find themselves as leader in the broadband industry.

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

Just curious have you checked to see if sprint or clear are in your coverage area, they have unlimited Usage on their 4g Network

You can check here: http://www.4ginfo.com/

or wait for Verizons 4G

0 Likes
razell214

Can some one please explain to me what the 5 gig cap is?  I get this message when I log on that says how many megabytes I have used, but the guy at the store I bouth the Blackberry and tether from said I had 5 Kilobytes. When I get this 'visual' display on the My Verizon site it doesnt even register that I have used anything.    All I do with this is check email and FB, but I am getting worried that I ave gone WAY over! Thank you!

0 Likes
jupiter837
Enthusiast - Level 3

razell214, the 5 gig cap is the amount of data you can use  without being fined overage charges.  Just like minutes on your phone, if you don't have a unlimited minute plan.  I'm guessing you have unlimited data useage on you blackberry, but when you tether it to the computer you fall under the 5 gig cap for computer usage. 5 kilobytes is nothing, you had to misunderstand that.  Most of the time the cap is a problem is when, or if, you want to down load movies, to much youtube or hulu, or really big upgrades.  Just checking your e-mail and surfing the web a few hours everyday you'll never reach it.  I do try to limit my usage to around 160mbs a day, but if I don't get on a day or don't reach that limit for the day, I can down load more the next day I'm on. Have to do a little juggleing act.  In two plus years I have never once gone over and pretty much did everything I wanted to do, except download full length movies.

0 Likes
Deamorei
Enthusiast - Level 2

In 14 months of use I've gone over the 5GB cap once but i'm right there at the cap every single month. More then likely Verizon will be losing my business at the end of my contract as i'll be signing on with an unlimited mobile broadband company for my home PC use. The only option we have here for broadband is cellular. Their are 2-3 companies that offer unlimited mobile broadband for the PC with Millenicom being one of those.

Info tidbit- Verizon's first-quarter profit fell to $2.28 billion, or 14 cents per share, from $3.21 billion, or 58 cents per share, in the same quarter last year.

Knowing Verizon they are probably whining at only making $2.28 billion in profits :smileywink:.. Thats 10 billion dollars a year in profits a year I think Bill Gates is only worth $58 billion dollars but  his net worth is not his profit for the quarter. Verizon is a very , very rich company thanks to us paying their high price of service. I wish they would pay us back with better plans.

0 Likes
Not applicable

1 GB = 1024 MB.  5 GB = 5120 MB. 

0 Likes