Novatel USB 760 Compatability Issues
Dgeier0725

I recently purchased a Novatel USB 760 Broadband card from a 3rd party supplier. I called Verizon technical support after I was unable to get it activated. What I found out was that some of the devices are originally loaded as "Pre-Paid" and some are for "post-pay" (month to month billing which is anything other than Pre-Paid). On phones, you can do a factory reset and then program the phone to work. On a USB device there is no factory reset except from the factory.

I had a USB 760 that was originally Pre-Paid. It would not work at all with the VZAM (Verizon Access Manager) software. I ordered a replacement and it loaded up fine.

One interesting facet of this was that the card was recognized and even activated. The real issue was it would not connect to the VZW network. I would get an error code that stated it needs a User Name and Pasword.

So if you get a USB 760 and get this error that you need credentials, chances are it was a previous Pre-Paid unit and needs a factory reset. I was told that consumers do not have access to the factory reset software and only Novatel could do this.

Since you can purchase 3G units for under $25.00 my 3rd party just sent me a new one. I even bought another one and it works. I have 2 laptops and 2 USB 760 and both are working flawlessly. The original USB 760 that was a prepaid unit is now the paper weight.

0 Likes
Re: Novatel USB 760 Compatability Issues
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

If the original device is recognized by the VZAccess Manager you can reset it with specific AT Commands.  It may or may not work, but if you want to give it a shot let me know and I'll give you the instructions.

As long as it's configured for VZW it should work.

0 Likes
Re: Novatel USB 760 Compatability Issues
Dgeier0725

If you have the instructions on how to reset the USB Modem, that would be

great.

David

<<Personal information removed>>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes