Re: Verizon Jetpack hotspot minute usage going through the roof, but I'm not doing anything differently.
Counselor2002
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same problem. I only use my jet pack when I travel. Today I got a notice that I had used up 75% of my data. I had it turned on from 4pm until 10 pm and was not using it all the time.

How could this happen!

(Branched to this new discussion for better exposure..original thread too old)

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator (M)

52 Replies
prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here we go again!!  Everyone with a different story, and NO ONE that understands what goes on in the MONSTER they work for!!

I've figured out how to get to a live person... thankfully.  They seem helpful and concerned, but they never can seen to quite see the scope of what has gone on the last 12 (really 40) days and can NEVER get me the data that might be helpful... ongoing data usage.  IT SHOULD show up on My Verizon, but it doesn't.  I can't see it and neither can they.  Without that, we are unable to determine if it MIGHT be happening when the modem is off.  Now Tech Support is saying they can't see it until billed.  The other day one person told me she had access to some data, but I was never allowed or able to contact her again. 

Yesterday when trying to trouble shoot his new modem, my Dad was finally able to get to a live person.  (He is being routed to financial now!!)  I had to give him authorization on my account just to debulk this process.  Of course, now neither the NEW NOR THE OLD one work.  So, Tech Support tells him the problem started when he took the computer (only) to Best Buy for virus removal and they installed Web Root security software.  "It is ALL because of Web Root, so have Best Buy fix it."  Excuse me????   Verizon's old MiFi worked post Best Buy, now the new one and old one don't?  it is NOT Best Buy's problem that the MiFi's (Jetpacks) don't work.  It is a VERIZON problem. 

So, to save my Dad another 30 mi round trip to Best Buy.... likely to be futile... we decided along with Customer Services last PM that he would take both MiFi's, SIM cards and computer to the Verizon outlet and make sure all equipment was functioning appropriately.  Of course, Dad's car decided to over heat a few miles from home.  It is now awaiting thermostat repair.  He is home w/o internet or car. 

I called Customer Service again today to see if SOMEHOW we could see ongoing usage.  We know the MiFi hasn't been online for a couple of days.  Again, a nice person, seemingly concerned, seems to be AGAIN filing a diamond ticket (supposed to have results in 2-3 days....NOT! with the last one.)  The last diamond ticket seems to have disappeared into that same 'dimension' Verizon's data usage reports come from! 

This rep also claims her supervisor can take the upgrade off my monthly phone.... We'll see. 

I've taken to calling VZ from a land line.  When they give me a "just call..... at 8xx-000-0000" I make that call with my cell phone and let the 'help' hear the transferring and 'you have reached financial services..... we're closed!'  They are seemingly chagrined to have given me a bum steer, but can't resolve the problem. 

FCC complaint is in process. 

RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

<Duplicate post deleted for flooding of the community and for personal information per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Counselor2002
Enthusiast - Level 3

>Duplicate post deleted along with personal info and personal website link<

0 Likes
cyncam000

all please check out what one of my kids, an IT major, found with all computers off - the hotspot/jetpack is logging 100mb of data with each power on cycle. I too have a ticket in after multiple tries with less than competent verizon personnel and have filed for mediation - bbb and fcc my next stops if my bills are not fixed.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Likes
prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

NO one has offered or suggested mediation to me. ???  Maybe we are that far along yet?  2 weeks tomorrow.  How long does it take???... .

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

<Duplicate post deleted for flooding of the community and for personal information per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

0 Likes
Counselor2002
Enthusiast - Level 3

I filed a report with FCC. I  afraid to turn on my device. Also wrote Verizon president. M

Sent from my iPhone

<Personal information removed per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

<This discussion is now closed for multiple violations including the posting of personal information, discussion of moderation, duplicate content which is both flooding and crossposting per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service. When posting on the Verizon Wireless Community, please follow the Terms of Service.>

prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

One additional note, I did speak with Web Root and even though I'm not personally a customer, they opened a ticket for me.  They say there is NO WAY it is using so much data and even with it disabled, my dad cannot log on thru his MiFi.  Their Tech support actually did some research and are interested in the outcome of this MESS!!!!

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

I responded yesterday about my usage going through the roof and got your

latest post via email. I'm new to this and don't know why Verizon is

facilitating these blogs, but if you get this return email let me know.

>Personal info removed<

I have kept up with my usage and it was all pretty normal until Nov. 21.

That was the first day of my billing cycle. In that 24-hour period I was

shown as using 16.34 GB. In one day.

While talking multiple times to Verizon support people, only one admitted

to me that Verizon equipment could make mistakes.

I have an email that I can send you of a neighbor who was told by a Verizon

service rep that the problem was a Verizon timing error.

Wade

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

I found this site from an old friend that is in the computer business. I

was surprised at why Verizon would allow blogs like this, and pretty much

found out why; They delete any information that you might want to share

with other people that are having trouble. Even one blogger told me not to

post personal information. All my problems began on the first day of my

billing period, Nov. 21, 2012. A little after midnight. My usage went over

16 GB in that 24-hour period.

Can anyone give me the URL to download an FCC complaint form? I found the

.gov site, but that form was not listed. All kinds of URLs to sites that

say just follow the download link listed below, but guess what? They aren't

there.

Prettyppam, do you have a good URL. You posted that your FCC complaint had

been made.

0 Likes
prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

>Link deleted as it is a duplicate. If this continues to occur, the one above will be pulled also<

Seems like I just googled FCC, got to the .gov site and to this from there. 

Good luck!!

The replacement MiFi sent to my Dad does not work.  VErizon store not able to make it work, so, once again, we're back on the old data gobbler MiFi.... waiting for yet another replacement modem.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This isn't a blog. It is a customer peer to peer forum with rules of conduct in the form of the Terms of Service. You can find the TOS in the Community Announcements space.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sodone
Enthusiast - Level 2

it is ; http://www.fcc.gov/complaints if they wiupe this out, go to fcc.gov/complaints then select Broadband Service and VOIP, then select Billing, Service, Availability, and Number Portability Issues. Then select the "Complete the form " link. If this is deleted from the post email me at >Personal Email Deleted< i too have a formal report filed with FCC for same issues.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

RidgerRider,

Please DON'T POST your personal information on this public forum!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

I got my JetPack 4G service a few months ago and it has been a pleasant experience until Thanksgiving Eve. My new billing period started on Nov. 21. For the 24-hour period of the 21st, my 14 GB monthly usage and 2.34 GBs more were used. Both my wife's computer and mine blocks Windows updates. This is more usage in one day than I have ever used in a month. I started calling tech services early on Thanksgiving and spoke to eight reps. that day. No help. I wrote the service department that evening but haven't heard back from them. Two days ago I talked to another service supervisor and he agreed that over 6 GB in one download at 11: PM didn't make any sense and agreed to cut $90 dollars off my bill, but since I am into December's billing cycle and into overage, I can't use my Verizon service for three weeks or until Dec. 21. I am using my son's service now. I would be happy to supply all the details of my holiday experience to any one that initiates a class action suit. My son is a lawyer, but unfortunately he is stationed at a NATO base in Belgium.

0 Likes
eoccjw
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am experiencing the same frustrating thing!!  In August 2012, bought two Verizon 4GLTE JetPacks for wi-fi access for home and travel.  Everything worked fine for speed and pretty much for usage, too, until after Thanksgiving this year. Suddenly, network speed is so incredibly slow and usage on both JetPacks is "through the roof" this billing cycle.  Our billing cycle started on Nov 20th.  We were out of town for 3 1/2 days 22nd-24th with zero internet usage by us on both jetpacks during that time.  So that means, we've used both jetpacks only 7 days in this current billing cycle.  Already, I have had to up usage allowance from 5gb on both to 10gb on both for this cycle, and I just got alert today that I'm already 75% into my 10mb allowance on one of the jetpacks and still have 20 days to go in the billing cycle!! Something is definitely wrong!!!!  And like all others "WE ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING DIFFERENTLY" than we did for first 3 months of use.  We don't do gaming, we don't stream TV shows, nor movies.  Just our usual check email, some shopping, online usage.  The Verizon network now runs agonizingly slow online ever since Thanksgiving, and our supposed overusage cannot be accurate.  (Yes, I know there are is an increase in online shoppers using the internet after Thanksgiving, but does that mean Verizon's 4GLTE network cannot handle a known period of network traffic increase in this country?)

I called Verizon support in October for an overage charge on account.  Their "View Usage" tool is a joke too, admitted to by the Verizon Support Rep.  I monitor our accounts usage quite frequently to avoid overcharges (which of course, monitoring your usage on their site eats into your data usage!)  I take screenshots of the information Verizon presents via their "View Usage" tool to prove what they display to me.  The screenshot I took for one jetpack, just ONE day before the billing cycle ended, showed I still had 25% allowable usage available.  Yet, within 12 hours after the billing cycle ended, gee, what a shock....their billing system showed i was a gig over my allowable amount.  I asked the rep how could their View Usage tool show me i have gigs left to use, and 12 hours later their billing system shows I was over my allowance. How was i supposed to monitor my usage if Verizon shows you incomplete data?  She said "Our Monitoring system is not as accurate as our billing system (wow, there's a shocker!!!)."  When I asked "what good is it for me to use to monitor, then", she admitted it wasn't going to help me monitor usage because the monitoring tool is not as accurate as the billing tool.  She gave me a "$10 courtesy credit" against the $20 Overage Charge on my bill.  Really?!?! A "courtesy credit", acting like they are doing me a favor to do so, when the rep admits their monitoring tools aren't accurate so there is no way i can accurately monitor my usage???!!!  (But, gee, their billing system sure is accurate...or is it?)

So very frustrated and seeking new solutions even if it means paying the "ransom" cancellation fees that Verizon will stick us with for leaving!  The wi-fi service (which is now a joke to call it "service") has become unacceptable!

RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Hey, eoccjw. Nine was similar ro you. New cycle started Nov. 21. In the next 24 hours my 14 GB per mo. went into overage 2.34 GB. 16.34 GB in 24 hours.

You got any idea how to get email addresses for people like us having so much trouble with Verizon? <Comment deleted for discussion of moderation and the personal information removed per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

0 Likes
Counselor2002
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wrote the President of Verizon and also filed a complaint to the FCC. I got a call from the President's office last week, I should hear from them again next week. You can file a complaint online with the FCC. Something is definitely wrong.

>Personal info and personal web site link removed<

RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

<Duplicate post deleted for flooding of the community, discussion of moderation and for personal information per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

0 Likes
prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't see anything about this on your blog.  How does one write to the Pres of Verizon?  I haven't really looked, but figure getting to any functional address is going to be another adventure in futility!!

To ALL:  I just have to say that I don't see any id---s on this blog.  'Tis VERY concerning about what is going on with VZ and their Jetpack and service for that matter.  Also, sorry to anyone confused, when I've said modem.... I'm referring to the MiFi or Jetpack my Dad has.   AND for any wondering why I don't just GO THERE to sort out myself, I live about 650 mi from my dad and mom. 

My FCC complaint is filed.

Thanks for all your help!