SIM Card Errors....workarounds?
kescom11

I have a somewhat uncommon situation, but it involves Verizon Wireless and the computer company Lenovo (formerly IBM). These two companies partnered together to allow computer users to use embedded Mobile Broadband modules to connect to the internet via the Wireless WAN.  Access to the internet still requires the use of the Verizon SIM card and activation.

There are two mobile broadband modules that have been approved for use by Verizon Wireless in partnership with Lenovo.

They are as follows:

Sierra Wireless MC8355 (aka Lenovo Thinkpad Gobi 3000 Mobile Broadband) - only supports up to Verizon 3G wireless service. 

There is a VZ Access Manager application that supports this module.

Sierra Wireless MC7750 (aka Lenovo Thinkpad Gobi 3000 Mobile Broadband) - supports 3G/4G Verizon wireless service.

There is only one version of VZ Access Manager for this device, but it does not cover my computer (Lenovo Thinkpad T430s)

Both embedded modules require the use of a Verizon Wireless SIM card.

I was originally sold the incorrect card, MC8355, but it worked properly in my computer and I was able to connect to the Verizon network.

When I installed the MC7750 card (to be available to get Verizon 3G and 4G service), the same SIM Card I used for the MC8355 could no longer be read by the computer,   I even made sure that Verizon had the new IMEI device name for the new device, but it did not work. I also made sure that the proper drivers, etc were installed correctly for this device.

I am attaching a picture and error message "screen shots received noting the "missing" SIM card, even though the SIM card was properly installed.

The picture shows the actual mobile broadband module at the top (with the red and blue wires connected at one end and the Verizon SIM card in a slot near the bottom of the picture.

Has anyone else with embedded Mobile Broadband computer devices had any similar problems with Verizon SIM cards?

Any comments and recommendations are welcome.

Sincerely,

Kevin Smith

Metropolis, IL

0 Likes
Re: SIM Card Errors....workarounds?
darrellsims

Yes I am finding the same issue with a Lenovo T430 and am asking for escalation within Verizon and Lenovo. Have you had any responses from Lenovo or Verizon?

0 Likes
Re: SIM Card Errors....workarounds?
Stevo99

Same thing here, obviously a very common issue for those of us with this card.  Lenovo installed all their O/S crap on top of my windows stripped down version, and guess what?  Their software says the same thing, no sim card installed!  Haven't got anywhere with VZW yet other than them giving me a new SIM Card.  Surpised nobody has posted a solution to this yet, other than one guy in a forum stating he went back to 3G because there was no solution?  Also posted on Sierra Wireless forum, nothing back yet.       HELP!

0 Likes