Screwed by Verizon over Mifi4510L
txsvt
Enthusiast - Level 1

So on 10/31/2011 I went into my local Verizon store in Waco, TX (Marketplace Shopping Center) and spoke with a Verizon associate by the name of Allen.  I advised Allen that in a week I will be leaving for the Bahamas and did not want to rack up a large bill when I get home. I told him I need use of my phone and internet access for my iPad.  Allen called Verizon's Global Service department and they confirmed that my iPhone 4 would work there and set me up on the Global data Plan based on previous months usages to make sure I had enough and would not go over. Allen also sold me a Mifi4510l wireless hotspot to use with my iPad including it in the Global data package plan, again based off conversations of needs and use.  So the day comes and we leave since we traveled most of the day I needed to check my email and make sure all my clients were taken care of back home so I turn on the Mifi (plug it in as well for first charge) and it did not work so I thought well lets go eat maybe it just needs time to locate where it is or needs to charge. A few hours go by and I started getting text messages from Verizon about please contacting them your bill is $XX.XX over the alloted plan (exact wording I do not recall but you get the idea) I immediately call and I think at that point it was only $50 over. The Represented indicated that for some reason I was not set up on the Global plan but rest assured he will take care of it right now and make sure I was in fact not really $50 (or whatever) over my plan amount. He gets me set up and told me not to worry that I may still get these texts messages but to ignore them as it may take time of the plan to take affect. I did keep getting the texts and each time the amount got larger and larger so the next morning I called again.  This rep indicated that in fact I was set up on the data plan and again not to worry that the texts were not really what was reflective on my account (at this point I believe the message was $750) anyway I asked repeatedly ARE YOU SURE!!! Her reply was YES you are fine enjoy your trip. I did keep getting the texts but they soon stopped so I quit worrying. I tried the mifi again the next day but it did not work again so I resorted to using the internet at the Cove Hotel, expensive but I had clients to check in on.  Flash forward to just a few weeks ago and this week and $2,000 + later Verizon is telling me that not only am I responsible for the bill that I most likely used the data.  Hey I have no problem paying for what I use but NOT ONCE did the Mifi work nor did I ever use it. Here is the kicker apparently (which no one told me) if you just have the Mifi on it pulls data. How in the heck am I supposed to know that and yes I left it on the whole time we were in the Bahamas but like most consumers if your not actually logged on to it one would think your not being charged for it. Why didn't the first and even second rep catch this and tell me? Why did they lie to me by telling me all was okay?  Why is it that I am responsible for something when I went through the effort of trying to prevent this exact scenario?  Verizon is stealing my money, yeah I paid it I had no choice I use my phone for work purposes.  I feel like they robbed me and do not care. Yes I have made MANY MANY MANY calls only to be told too bad pay it lose your service.

0 Likes
Re: Screwed by Verizon over Mifi4510L
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

That is a pretty bad experience to have with the MiFi.  I have never taken mine into a global roaming area but I know I would be upset if it didnt work out the way I was told it would.

Those global roaming plans can be scarry based on other threads that I have read. I wonder how much data verizon thinks you consumed while you were away?  Perhaps there was a data leak somewhere which could be documented and sent back to VZW for review.  I leave my MiFi on most of the day even though I do not always connect to it and I never see my plan go over 1-2 GB per month.  The MiFi should not be racking up enough data to justify a $2,000 bill without anyone actually using it.

I'd bet your fed up with VZW at this point but it may be worth it to contact them and ask for a data report.  They should be able to see chunks of time and how much data was consumed during your trip.  My guess is that VZW is not billing you for your data but instead the time your MiFi was connected to the VZW network in a global roaming area.  It might be more of a cents/per minute phone call situation.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Which global data package did you get?

Here is a link to the global data info for the Bahamas. If you did not pay for a plan, data is billed at .02/kb.

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/traveling_to/Caribbean/Bahamas.html

0 Likes
web_spinner

I was wondering if txsvt's Mifi was somehow setup for an open access hotspot and someone else hooked onto it.  100Mb at $20/Mb (no plan Global rate for Bahamas) will rack up a $2000 bill inside 15minutes.  Even if you do have a Global plan, 300Mb doesn't last very long.  $5/Mb afterward can still burn holes in your pocketbook.

0 Likes
Tong

Verizon really screw people over. I was going to Europe fo 10 days so I went to a Verizon office to get global plan to avoid significant fees.  I was told that  $30monthly fee will be more than sufficient for my 10 day trip considering my regular monthly usage, and that using email would be the least expensive way for me to communicate.   I did not check email any more frequently than I do in the U.S., and there is no reason why the volume was so high.   That was exactly what I did, and I am appalled that I was charged some $300 for usage fee.   I wrote to appeal but I am almost certain that they won't give a refund.  

It seems that either I was misformed of my regular usage, or was tricked to use a more expensive method. 

Verizon already tricked me once when I signed on, because apparently the month does not begin when you sign on, but it's some other dates Verizon uses.  I was not informed of that either.

Is there something us consumers can do about this ridiculous practice?

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

You might want to email every friend and post your experiences on facebook, twitter, and any other social networks you may have access too. I also have been lied to by Verizon service representatives.

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

You might want to file a complaint with the FCC. I did.

0 Likes
indycnc

I know your pain...

Phone Crapped out. No insurance. Another Verizon nightmare

So what happens when your phone craps out and you have no insurance. Well, you have to get a new or USED phone. Do not return to the Verizon store because there solution is to sell you a new phone another 2 year plan and on top of that a hotspot device.

Bill Period: July 07, 2013 - August 06, 2013

Promotional Allowance

Total Account & Line Current Charges

Account Charges and Credits

$54.60

317-xxx-xxxx $45.77 wife's phone

317-xxx-xxxx $45.77 mine

317-xxx-xxxx $45.77 (the mysterous 3 line)

317-xxx-xxxx $20.78 (hotspot device)

Total Current Charges

$212.69

My wife's phone crapped out. Unfortunately I was working out of state at the time. The Verizon sales guy solution was to sell her a 3rd line and another 2 year contract.

I will never go back to Verizon again. You know the sales guy knew exactly what he was doing.

If this ever happens to you try going to http://swappa.com and see if you can find a comparable phone.

0 Likes