Signal Strength reduction after 2.23 on 4510L
Vahlen

This update seemed only exacerbate the already unreliable 4510L device, prior to the 2.23 firmware update I average 3-4 bars of signal strength. However, immediately following the update my signal strength dropped to fluctuating between 1-2 bars which has rendered the device all but unusable.

That being said it would appear that the constant disconnects/dormancy have been solved, at least for the time being...........but now I have dial-up, GG Verizon.......GG

0 Likes
Re: Signal Strength reduction after 2.23 on 4510L
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Signal strength issues are not likley related to the device itself.  There is probally an issue in your area that Verizon is already working on.  If the poor signal strength problem remains after a week or two then something in your enviornment may have changed which is interfering with your connection.  Nothing you can really do about it unless you want to try a different location or add an external antenna.

In regards to your speed, I'd bet your MiFi is choosing to connect at 1xRTT speeds.  I have seen my MiFi do that from time to time and I give it a quick level 2 reset to correct the problem.  Try navigating to http://mifi.admin and check along the top of the page to see your connection type.  A EvDO / CDMA connection should be much quicker. 

Level 2 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Remove the SIM card
  5. Allow the MiFi to sit for 30 seconds
  6. Reassemble the MiFi
  7. Test the Connection

You can also try to force your MiFi to select CDMA if it is unable to do so on its own.

Use CDMA only:

1. Power on the MiFi
  2. Connect to the MiFi
  3. Navigate to http://mifi.admin
  4. Sign into the MiFi
  5. Click the WWAN tab
  6. Click the More link at the bottom of the page
  7. Change the WWAN Preferred Mode to CDMA Auto (or a differnt choice)
  8. Click Apply
  9. Test your connection

0 Likes
Vahlen

The problem is that my device ALWAYS had at least 3 usually 4 bars of service prior to the 2.23 update........even when I was downloading it had 4 bars. However, once the device was fully updated and restarted it refused to go above 2 bars and rarely leaves 1 bar.

It is highly improbable that something occured within the 2 minute update that would effect my signal to this degree, I don't understand why having a working service that I pay a good sum of money for is asking too much. I never had ANY of these problem with the 2200, so for verizon to place the blame on me/my environment I find to pretty unacceptable.

I will add that the device is longer disconnecting randomly as were the previous devices, unfortunately it seems like once 1 problem is fixed another is created.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Try posting your results from http://speedtest.net.  This will help us understand what your actual data connection speed is.  Saying that your MiFi is at 1-2 bars is not a very scientific measurement of the problem.  I suggest taking the average of 5+ tests as your numbers can spike and valley at any given moment.  Be sure to tell us which cellular service your device is in when you run your tests too (EVDO, 1xRTT, LTE, CDMA etc).  You can find that information on the mifi.admin homepage.

How did the level 2 reset go?  The reset that I posted above is helpful for forcing your SIM to renegotiate its connection with the local towers.  If your MiFi glitched and is trying to talk to a tower that is farther away than normal then a level 2 reset should help it find the original tower in your area.

I am not Verizon, I am a user like yourself who has gathered my own information and experience with these devices.  You are the first to report a signal reduction problem with the 2.23 firmware update.  Its important to gather as much information about the problem that we can incase it develops into a trend. 

0 Likes