Since we purchased our Verizon Jetpack 890L I have hesitated to use it for file transfer between my computers.
harpingeorge

We're used to having our three computers in the house attached to a network  through a router.  But due to our location in the mountains we were never able to have respectable internet speed because the only provider available was through a satellite link which was way slow.  When we discovered Verizon had put up a 4G tower and saw what that did for internet speed we dropped the satellite and purchased the JetPack.  We're extremely pleased with the speed and performance, (other than the usage limits but we can live with that.)  To my question:

Previously being on a wired network there was never any concern for sharing files between computers.  Now we are on the JetPack can we share files between computers through the JetPack without using any of our 5G data limit?  I know the router would simply route PC to PC without going to the internet.  Does the JetPack do the same thing avoiding internet data usage?  Thanks in advance for any help

0 Likes
Re: Since we purchased our Verizon Jetpack 890L I have hesitated to use it for file transfer between my computers.
budone
Legend

You would being using your 5GB limit to send between computers, whether in the same house, next to each other or across the country

0 Likes
Re: Since we purchased our Verizon Jetpack 890L I have hesitated to use it for file transfer between my computers.
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I disagree with budone.  Local file transfers do not consume your data plan.  Only data that goes across the VZW network itself will be monitored and held against you.  It is the same concept as your old wired router.

If you are unsure and want to be extra safe you can purchase a new router that can connect your MiFi and your local devices.  I use something called the PepWave Surf to do this.  There are many other devices available that normally go by the name of Wireless Network Extenders, Wireless Bridges or Wireless Repeaters. 

For example:

MiFi ))))))) Pepwave )))))) Compuer 1

MiFi ))))))) Pepwave === Computer 2

)))) = wireless

== = wired

Computer 1 and computer 2 can communicate to each other solely through the Pepwave.  When they need internet the Pepwave is also connected to the MiFi and will send the requests there and back automatically.

0 Likes
CharmaChameleon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Using the 4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice (Verizon-4G-LTE-BRV-****) device, I just transferred, via secure copy (scp) 500 megabytes from one computer to another via the wireless network in my house.

Before I started the test, my usage detail, as displayed by the router via its Web interface was 12.701 gigabytes for the billing period.

Afterwards, the usage detail was 12.702 gigabytes.

Conclusion: Data that does not touch the Verizon network is not charged as network usage.

Cheers!

0 Likes
CharmaChameleon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since I also have an 890L Hotspot, I connected two different computers to it and moved 520 megabytes from one to the other, using the hotspot as a router.

Usage detail was completely unchanged at the conclusion of the test.

Previous conclusion is affirmed, regardless of the devices involved.

Cheers!

0 Likes