UM150 Modem - EVDO Rev A Capable?
01Nogaro

I have a UM150 and am in an EVDO Rev A capable location. We are constantly getting sent to NationalAccess when logged on. Is it possible I can solve this problem upgrading to a new modem? (i.e. is my current device not EVDO Rev A capable?) I tried to find some info on the UM150, but couldn't readily do so.

I'm also curious about the MiFi 2200 if I decide to upgrade. My husband and I use our mobile broadband all over and especially like having it while traveling. We should be able to continue doing this with the MiFi 2200 as well?

Thanks much for your help!

0 Likes
Re: UM150 Modem - EVDO Rev A Capable?
AlexSian
Contributor - Level 1

the UM150 is definitely a "Rev-A" device. your problem may be related to signal between you and the nearby cell towers.

there is a jack on backside of the UM150 that allows you to attach higher-gain antennas that can improve signal.

the MiFi is cool, but if signal is your problem you won't be able to easily attach a high gain antenna to it, because it does not have an antenna jack like your UM150 does.

0 Likes
01Nogaro

Thanks for the info!

I'm curious - would getting a newer device help resolve my potential signal problems?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
AlexSian
Contributor - Level 1

no, a different device is not likely to fix a signal issue. you probably just need a high-gain antenna.

you may want to do a "local site survey" to see if improved signal, gets you better performance.

here's a good blogpost explaining why and how to do a site survey:

http://bit.ly/sitesurvey

Message Edited by EVDOalex on 08-11-2009 09:35 AM
0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the UM175, it is an EVDO REV A device.  when I first got the device, I was locking into NationalAccess only.  There is a Verizon Tower about 3 miles from me, so I figured I should be getting better performance (signal/speed).

If you are using the Verizon Access Manager.....While in the program, press    CTRL-D . .  This is the embedded diagnostics program.

the password is   "diagvzw".    After you're in the diag screens, look for SETTINGS.............After in that screen, look for a setting called   "HDR ONLY"....

Click on that, and "OK" it.........It will say "programming device".

After you've done all that, exit out of the Diag screens, EXIT VZ Access Manager, and restart.

What this does is LOCKS your modem in EVDO mode....If there is an EVDO signal in your area, the modem will pick up the signal.  If there is NOT an EVDO signal transmitted from the tower from you, you probably will not have any bars on your signal indicator......

In that case, you will have to re-run the process and lock the modem back into AUTOMATIC.

This worked great for me.  This is documented in the forums.  I can't believe some of the other "know it alls" haven't addressed this already. 

ALSO, you can look at your signal strength by going into the diag screens again, and clicking on FIELD TEST.....Scroll down to the bottom. Look for

HDR RSSI (signal strength)......Mine is usually 75 to 72.

Also look at the EC/LO which should be under -4

and the PER % which should be 0

Any readings any higher and your signal and performance will be affected to the worse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a UM150 and am in an EVDO Rev A capable location. We are constantly getting sent to NationalAccess when logged on. Is it possible I can solve this problem upgrading to a new modem? (i.e. is my current device not EVDO Rev A capable?) I tried to find some info on the UM150, but couldn't readily do so.

0 Likes