Unable to connect to MHS291L with Windows 10
Franklnc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Verizon Jetpack® MHS291L that worked great with Windows 7.

I just updated my laptop to Windows 10 and now I cannot connect to the Hotspot.

The laptop sees the Wireless network but doesn't seem able to query it for the security requirements...

Gets hung on "Checking network requirements"....

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unable to connect to MHS291L with Windows 10
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

if the new OS can see the network of the Jetpack then you know the adapter is compatible.  That is usually the first check, making sure the drivers and adapter can actually see the network.

Now you have to try and clear out the wireless profile that was created from your first attempts.  Chances are the credentials did not migrate over from your previous install of Win7 or you mistyped something.  Clear the wireless profile you created for the Jetpack and try again.  With the proper credentials you should be able to connect.

Another clue would be to check the IP address of your machine when you receive this status message.  If your IP Address is anything like 169.254.x.x then you know its more of a password or credential problem.  Wipe out the wireless profile and try again.  Reset the Jetpack to defaults if necessary to make sure you are entering everything correctly and reconfigure once you gain access.

Franklnc
Enthusiast - Level 1

The issue is definitely related to Windows 10 not being able to query the security settings automatically on the MHS291L.  I tested against 3 different laptops running Windows 7 and 3 other laptops running Windows 10.  All Windows 7 clients worked flawlessly.  All Windows 10 clients could not automatically query the MHS291L for its security settings. (Note that all Windows 10 clients instantaneously queried other Wireless Access Points)  The only failing combination is Windows 10 and MHS291L.  I am able to manually configure Windows 10 to connect with the MHS291L, but not automatically.

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> I am able to manually configure Windows 10 to connect with the MHS291L, but not automatically.

Thanks for sharing this tip as a work around for other readers.  Its good that we have isolated the problem down to the automatic connection process for Win10 with this specific Jetpack.

Now that we have more info we need someone to bring it to the attention of VZW or Microsoft for a full solution.  I do not have a MHS291L so I cannot start any cases for the community on this one.  However, since this is the VZW forum it would be best to check in with VZW directly and see if they can perhaps move this issue with Microsoft for a more speedy resolution.  I'd think MS would be more likely to escalate the problem if it were to come from VZW instead of a regular user, but then again maybe MS is already aware of this problem due to issues with other devices.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I found one recent thread on the MS forum that may be related:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-wont-work/840a7eff-934f...

Haven't had time to explore the exe linked in the automatic solution.  The specific regkey is missing from my Win10 so the manual solution doesn't appear to apply for me either.  Perhaps that key only gets generated in this specific scenario though.

0 Likes