Using USB Modem with the Network Extender
prairiewind

Hey~

I'm new to this so forgive me if this has already been answered. Does anyone know if the LG 4G LTE USB Modem VL600 will work with the network extender?

The Verizon people don't know..... some say it will, some say it won't. Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using USB Modem with the Network Extender
yaro1776
Enthusiast - Level 2

The network extender will not work with the USB modem. The primary purpose of the extender is for use in weak cell phone signal areas that are served by wired/fiber  DSL or Broadband connections - the cell phone signal is transmitted to you (Network extender) via a broadband connection. The skimpy antenna is useless if you have an outside weak cell signal and no wired broadband...

For the VZ USB modem data package in a very weak cell signal area you will need a cell signal amplifier (Google this). This I have done and get a very strong cell signal (three - four bars) compared to the original one bar signal. The cell phone works great! The VZ 3G/4G USB modem I plug directly into the computer for now and receive an amplified 3G signal that is a solid two to three bars - the cell amplifier does this in a transparent way. However my speeds are limited and throttled by Verizon at times down to 50kbps speeds even though the signal strength (seen in VZAccess Manager Stats) remains constant. See my 3G Broadband issues post from yesterday afternoon.

The speed issues and inconsistency of service have put a hold my installing a wireless router (check Cradlepoint MBR 95) that will accept the VZ USB modem and then turn into an in house WIFI or Ethernet signal. This router is used in conjunction with the boosted signal from the cell phone amplifier.

The network extender is essentially useless to you if your purpose is to boost a cell signal for USB modem data package use.

Regards...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The network extender does not support 4G so that part wont work but all else should function but if I don't understand why you would want to do that because the router that you would be connecting the modem to by wifiwould be the default connection..

Wouldn't it be easier to connect directly to the wifi on the router without using the modem because the source of the connection will be the same as connection to wifi, actually probably better?

0 Likes
prairiewind

Wildman~

Thank you for your reply.

OK, No 4G support.... I can live with that. The thing is, I'm in a rather remote location. There is no WiFi, I'm not using a router.

The USB Modem is getting it's signal from the nearest cell tower....15-20 miles away. Rarely have I seen 3G service, mostly it's 1X, or Extended, or Enhanced Extended service.

So does the USB Modem plug directly into the network extender?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The Network Extender makes connection through your broadband connection in your home or business with a network cable but you would have to have a router to connect the internet to pc and use the Network Extender, so if you have broadband connection and using a router, most routers has wireless receiver.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/video/product/network_extender/index.html

Hooking Up Your Network Extender

Step 1

Connect to Your Existing Internet Broadband Connection

• You must connect the Network Extender to your existing high-speed Internet connection. The Network Extender is compatible with Verizon and other broadband Internet services like fiber optic, DSL, and Cable. Simply connect the Network Extender to your broadband router using the Ethernet cable provided with purchase. Check Compatibility

Step 2

Place Near a Window

•      Your Network Extender needs to be placed near a window that has a clear view to the sky to be able to access a GPS signal. If you cannot place the Network Extender near a window, an optional external antenna extender is included with purchase.  User Guide

Step 3

Simply Talk

• There is no activation required on any Verizon Wireless phone within the Network Extender network range.
  • Place your Verizon Wireless phone within 15 feet of the Network Extender to register your phone. Dial #48 to confirm registration and set up completion.
  • Network Extender has an approximate range of up to 40 feet from the Network Extender device, which translates to a 5,000 square foot area.
  • Up to six Verizon Wireless phones can automatically access the Network Extender network at one time with no extra charge per minute. A seventh channel is always reserved for emergency (E911) calls.

Step 4

Manage Your Settings Online

• The Network Extender allows all Verizon Wireless phones to enjoy the benefits of enhanced coverage. You can manage your settings online by signing in to My Verizon. You also have the ability to prioritize access to your Network Extender to up to 50 Verizon Wireless callers you select. Where a compatible cell tower is unavailable, callers that do not appear on your managed access list may access the Network Extender when not in use by priority callers. All callers may access the Network Extender for emergency (E911) calls. It's simple and easy. See the Network Extender in Action
0 Likes
prairiewind

Maybe I'm being dense, but please bear with me.

I have read thru all the network extender setup info before.

It says, "The Network Extender is compatible with Verizon and other broadband Internet services like fiber optic, DSL, and Cable. Simply connect the Network Extender to your broadband router using the Ethernet cable provided with purchase."

It dosen't mention USB phone modems.

I'm not using a router. I just plug the USB modem into the USB port on the computer. Is the "broadband router" mentioned above the same thing as a USB modem? I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong.

Does the Ethernet cable provided have a female USB connecter on one end? If it dosen't - it ain't gonna work.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The Network Extender requires a Ethernet port on the broadband modem to make connection to extender but if you also are using the modem to supply a internet connection to your home computer but the modem only has one Ethernet cable connection so you will need a router to be able to use both.

Now as for connecting the modem to the extender, you have to plug into the usb modem into you pc or laptop and this would connect to the extender through the transmitted signal...  Now if you are not using your home broadband connection for a pc connection then simply plugging extender to the back of the modem should work..

Did you check out the link I posted for the detailed instuctions for extender?

http://support.verizonwireless.com/video/product/network_extender/index.html

0 Likes
prairiewind

Well, ah,um, ok......having never seen one of these extenders or knowing what kind of connections it had on it until yesterday, I had assumed that it had a place to plug in my usb modem and a separate place to plug in the ethernet cable.

Wrong!

I see now that it has only one ethernet connection. Were making progress. Thank you for the links you provided.

My broadband phone modem does not have an Ethernet connection, only USB. So it would stay plugged into the usb port on the computer the way it is now?

Now about the router, the only thing I know about them is that they are needed when multiple computers are connected to one internet connection, or that a WiFi capable router will broadcast a signal through out your home or business so you can use the laptop anywhere as long as it is in range. Am I right so far?

I am a single user, using a single computer. Do I need a router? Or can I connect the extender into the ethernet port on the computer?

Note:

Satellite, MiFi or wireless connections are not supported.

The note above was cut and pasted from the extenders user manual. Is it talking about phone modems, such as I have, or WiFi or all of the above or what.

Thanks again for your input

0 Likes
yaro1776
Enthusiast - Level 2

The network extender will not work with the USB modem. The primary purpose of the extender is for use in weak cell phone signal areas that are served by wired/fiber  DSL or Broadband connections - the cell phone signal is transmitted to you (Network extender) via a broadband connection. The skimpy antenna is useless if you have an outside weak cell signal and no wired broadband...

For the VZ USB modem data package in a very weak cell signal area you will need a cell signal amplifier (Google this). This I have done and get a very strong cell signal (three - four bars) compared to the original one bar signal. The cell phone works great! The VZ 3G/4G USB modem I plug directly into the computer for now and receive an amplified 3G signal that is a solid two to three bars - the cell amplifier does this in a transparent way. However my speeds are limited and throttled by Verizon at times down to 50kbps speeds even though the signal strength (seen in VZAccess Manager Stats) remains constant. See my 3G Broadband issues post from yesterday afternoon.

The speed issues and inconsistency of service have put a hold my installing a wireless router (check Cradlepoint MBR 95) that will accept the VZ USB modem and then turn into an in house WIFI or Ethernet signal. This router is used in conjunction with the boosted signal from the cell phone amplifier.

The network extender is essentially useless to you if your purpose is to boost a cell signal for USB modem data package use.

Regards...

0 Likes
prairiewind

I was coming to that very conclusion as well. It's amazing how many Verizon people told me that the Network Extender was what I needed. Have already been online looking at cell signal boosters and repeaters. There pricey, I might have to dump

Verizon and go with WildBlue or Hughes.

Hey, Thanks for your input

Regards....

0 Likes
yaro1776
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are welcome - the Verizon sales folks are generally clueless....

Booster is pricey yes, but if your cell phone is a primary comm device it is worth it. My negative thoughts on Verizon Wireless broadband still stand. Some of my neighbors have bit the bullet and gone to Sat service - their consensus is that Hughes Net service is the best value for the price. They have tried all the others and have been disappointed. Try what works in your area!

Good luck!!

0 Likes