VZAccess Manager doesn't open, can't find a working copy (USB760)
SteveBallantyne
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am working on a staff members laptop who is running Windows XP (x86).  Long ago, after updating to the latest (not greatest) VZAccess Manager, he said it no longer "works".  He's right.  When you open it - nothing happens.  There seems to be a running process in task manager but nothing ever displays on the screen.  If you end task, and re-launch - you get the same thing.  Nothing!  I have tried uninstalling, and reinstalling to my hearts contents, but nothing seems to get it working.  I am running the only version that I can find to download, 7.3.13 (2635a).

Out of curiosity, I installed this same software to my Windows 7 desktop and I get the same thing.  When you launch VZAccess Manager, not a dang thing happens.  Just a background running process.  No window to work with.  No icon in the system tray.

I have to wonder if this is the result of a conflicting Windows patch or .Net update.  But I am not finding a lot of info here.

The best advice I have seen is to install an older working copy of this software from a CD or DVD that came with the device.  Unfortunately, my coworkers either didn't keep that disc somewhere safe - or it didn't come with one.

If someone could help me out with where I could find an older copy that works - that would be awesome.  I have been waiting a few weeks hoping that a fixed copy would be released or an update would be made but I haven't seen anything pop up.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered!

<Deleted per the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VZAccess Manager doesn't open, can't find a working copy (USB760)
SteveBallantyne
Enthusiast - Level 2

<Comment removed for discussion of moderation per the .>

Anyway - even older copies of this software are doing the same thing.  When you open VZAccess Manager, you get a running process that starts consuming about 50% of your CPU - and you never see an active dialog.  I am assuming that this is a .Net issue (or a Java issue?) of some sort - although I don't see anything in the system requirements that state .Net being required.

Who knows.  But I did find an interesting article that tells you how to make use of your modem without installing or running this broken bloatware.

Instructions here for those interested: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/305960-how-to-access-internet-without-verizon-vzaccess-manager/

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SteveBallantyne
Enthusiast - Level 2

No bites?

Well - I haven't made any progress on this issue but I did find an older version of the software floating around which I will be trying when I have the chance.  Here is the download link for anyone else looking for older working copies of this software.  This link is for 7.3.11 2566a for the USB760.

0 Likes
SteveBallantyne
Enthusiast - Level 2

<Comment removed for discussion of moderation per the .>

Anyway - even older copies of this software are doing the same thing.  When you open VZAccess Manager, you get a running process that starts consuming about 50% of your CPU - and you never see an active dialog.  I am assuming that this is a .Net issue (or a Java issue?) of some sort - although I don't see anything in the system requirements that state .Net being required.

Who knows.  But I did find an interesting article that tells you how to make use of your modem without installing or running this broken bloatware.

Instructions here for those interested: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/305960-how-to-access-internet-without-verizon-vzaccess-manager/

0 Likes
SteveBallantyne
Enthusiast - Level 2

** UPDATE **

After getting the laptop and device back into my possession I found that it was not even being recognized as a modem.  It turns out that the device is dead or damaged.  I called into tech support and they could see that there were "problems with the SIM".  They are shipping me a replacement.

An so - it seems that the reason that the VZAccess Manager was not displaying is because it didn't think that the device was inserted?  Or maybe it was getting stuck on trying to talk to it?

0 Likes