VZaccess Manager changes local network address
mangeruca

I would like to know why VZAccess Manager changes my local network IP address everytime it is installed or there is a program update. My LAN is on 10.0.0.- and VZAccess manager is installed on one computer on the network but every time I've had to re-install or there is a program update it sets the IP address for that computers LAN address to 192.168.-.- and I have to go back in and reset the network address to the proper settings for my network. This is a USB modem acquiring its own address from the Verizon network. Why is it mucking around in my LAN settings? It functions the same on the computer it is installed on no matter what my LAN is on so there is no reason for it to be altering these settings.

0 Likes
Re: VZaccess Manager changes local network address
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

It's probably because when these devices connect, they act as a "dialup modem" it's like pushing the "send" button on a cellphone to dial a number and initiate a call.  A dialup connection obtains a different IP address everytime it connects since it's not an "always on" connection.

You may be able to go to your Network Connections list in the Control Panel and change the TCP/IP settings for the adapter associated with the device and set it up like a static IP.  If that doesn't work, ask VZW for a static IP address.

Just wondering what kind of issue it is causing.  The reason I ask is because it shouldn't  cause an issue unless you are connecting multiple systems through Internet Connection Sharing or through a router that is not 3G.  If it's on a Vista or Win 7 computer and no others are setup to connect, then you just assign a Home Network to the connection and it should remain that way no matter what the IP is.

0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

Forgot to add...the device should be using it's own LAN port that was installed with the driver software so the Ethernet LAN or wireless LAN port isn't affected.

0 Likes
mangeruca

I'll give you an explanation of my network configuration and my opinion of the situation and VZ Access Manager and we can go from there.

I have an office in the lower leval of my home with my PC, my laptop and a NAS (an old PIII @1Ghz running FreeNAS to turn it into a Network Attached Storage). PC and NAS and usually the laptop are connected to a switch (their LAnto the switch w/CAT5. The switch is CAT5 to an Ensoniq CB3 for a wireless connection to a Hawkings wireless router w/ a 6.5 db external antenna that is located in the spare room upstairs where the computer my wife uses (on occasion) is also located. The Hawking is connected to the LAN on my wifes computer, connection sharing is set up on that computer too and the Verizon Novatel USB760 is attached to this computer through a USB port. VZ Access Manager is installed on her computer also. I can take control of her computer from downstairs using TeamViewer. The 3 computers and the NAS are on their own workgroup (renamed from 'WORKGROUP' and are also set up using 10.0.0.100, 10.0.0.101, 10.0.0.102 and the NAS is 10.0.0.150.

Everything works perfectly until VZ Access Manager is installed or upgraded at which time it changes the address of my wifes computer (that it's connected to USB to 192.168.1.1, 255.255.255.0, no default gateway or DNS server address which stops my network from working. The USB760/VZ Access Manager have acquired an IP address, mask, gateway and DNS from Verizon and they can be found in VZ Access Manager. It doesn't assign a valid address to the computer it's plugged into.

This is the point where I have to go in and reset that LAN to 10.0.0.100, 255.255.255.0, 10.0.0.10 and I use OpenDNS for all 4 units (and I change VZ Access Manager's DNS to OpenDNS' 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) and everything works fine until VZ Access manager comes along with another upgrade. My download speeds from any unit run a pretty consistant 680K to 1.3G with everything set as I've explained above.

Now, the USB760 and VZ Access Manager have acquired their address as they should have. There is no reason for the program to go in and alter the settings on that machines LAN because 1) they were already set 2) VZAM is not assigning a working address to that machine anyway, just a generic 192.168 address and wiping the gateway address and the DNS addresses that were in there and not even replacing them and not setting them to 'Acquire an address automatically'.

VZAM and the USB760 would function on this computer even if I pulled the LAN card out altogether so my opinion is that this is a software glitch or a programming error in VZAM that I have had to fix 5 times now (3 program updates and twice to humor tech support when they wouldn't believe me that the problem I was having originated on their end).

This is basically an annoyance and I am extremely glad that VZAM isn't smart enough to be able to access the whole network and change all the settings but I sure would like to see it fixed before someone changes the code in a future update and it allows VZAM to run amok all the way through my LAN network.

Heheheh, it might not stop at the end of my network.....and the whole world will be reset to 192.168.1.1....even the MACs and the Smartphones.

Have Fun

Mike

0 Likes
mangeruca

That default gateway on my wifes computer is reset by me to10.0.0.100 and not 10.0.0.10 as I erroneously stated in the other messqge.

Mike

0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

I will need some time to decifer the whole setup.  ICS is complicated and isn't very efficient thanks to Windows.

There is a simple solution for your situation however, that would be to purchase a 3G router which will do all the controlling of the modem, one central spot for the initial connection the distribute it as it is designed to do.  You can either hard wire or wirelessly connect.

VZAccess Manager doesn't work with the router however, only the modem when directly inserted.  Truthfully, with your setup you could create a manual connection and only use the software periodically in one computer without the others connected to update the PRL and such as that.  You wouldn't be able to monitor your usage, signal or any of that this way.

One place to start research would be cradlepoint, they have a wide supported device range, have integrated features such as viewing signal, activation and more for some devices.  Just be sure the router you may get is compatible with your device.

I will get back with any possible reasons for the IP change, which is really odd if you connect, update and such with the computer that the modem is plugged into.  My suspicion is either Windows ICS or the route the connection takes.

0 Likes
mangeruca

Thanks lookinforanswer,

Now the 'why' of it is pretty simple. The USB760 is installed in that gateway upstairs because the signal is about 150% better.

As for the equipment, I was the Installer/techsupport/contact person for a WISP in this county and surrounding area and I have a backroom full of odds and ends. The CB3 and the Hawking router were just closest to the door. (plus the 900Mhz Moto Canopy equipment screws up my landline, the Tranzeos are just too ugly for my wife to let me use them in the house and I use the old Smartbridges/Airbridges if someone wants a really cheap home network).

I completely agree with you that a 3g wireless router w/usb would solve the problem and that was my first thought when I got broadband from Verizon until I fell out of my chair when I saw the asking price. Several thoughts came to mind but 'I think I'll buy one of those right now' wasn't one of them. It wouldn't cost me much more than the asking price for that router to put up a tower and get service from another provider.

0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

Touche'.  I do understand your dilemma.  I have a couple of thoughts that may be something for you to consider a possibility.

1.  Go to Options>Preferences from the VZAccess Manager, beginning with the "Connect" option choose "NDIS mode".  After saving and closing pref. Windows will install the Network Adapter for the connection.  Now this is an "Always On" connection mode which works wonderfully for the 3G routers and it may work well for your situation as well. 

2. Turn "Off" the internal wireless (if there is one) on the Host computer.  When I checked my Diagnostics info. with the VZAccess at this connection method, it gave me tons of info. that I believe you may find useful, the only thing active in Network and Sharing was the Wireless Novatel Lan adapter. 

With the wireless (internal) off, it was connected but in the TCP/IP properties the only enabled protocol was the IPv4.  There was also some information found in the Details Tab of the VZAccess Status window including the client IPv4 address and the DHCP server with the DNS .

It's possible that if you configure the VZAccess Manager to only manage the WWAN and none of your other connections it may not look for and change those adapter settings during the updates.  You might also verify that your adapter be Wireless Zero config. for Windows to manage.

Not sure if any of this will be of any assistance or is relevant but it's a good place to try because I had found some information in my research for some previous issues with the Thinkpad and the software including the updates where they had to issue a fix and some of the bugs were associated with the built-in adapters on those machines. 

I figure it's worth a shot anyway.

Good Luck.

-Lookin

0 Likes