Vista Not Recognizing USB760 As A Modem
Moebrie
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a refurbished device to replace previous USB760 that installed flawlessly on all of our Dell computers: older retired XP desktop, new Vista 64 desktop and new Vista 32 laptop. Had to replace previous device (used for 4 months) as the external antenna connection, whcih was 'wiggly' from day one, broke off and unit would no longer get a signal.

Installed VzwAccess Manager on the old XP computer without a hitch. XP recognized the USB760 as both a storage device and modem. Both computers running Vista only see the device as a mass storage device and installs drivers for the storage part, but never sees the modem itself .. this is when installing Vzw Acc. Mgr. This causes the set up wizard to halt when it comes to the step that says Windows will install the device as a modem and it just says waiting for device to be inserted. Have tried all different combos of device inserted, not inserted, rebooting with device/without device, etc. etc. Always the same results; no modem found.

Spent over an hour on phone with Vzw CSR and after trying everything he could think of, including deleting root hubs, he gave up and said he didn't have a clue. Just said Vista was quirky. He couldn't explain why then our previous USB760 installed and worked on our two Vista computers. He was suppose to phone the next day to see if I could get the program up and running on the 'retired' XP computer (I did); said he'd research the Vista problem and get back to me the next day. He didn't.

Thinking the software in the USB760 may be faulty, I downloaded Vzw Acc. Mgr. for Vista directly from Verizon's website, but results were the same. Tried installing/running in XP compatibility mode; same results. Tried installing new hardware from control panel and error returned that said "software driver is not compatible with your device".  Other error messages received were "Windows did not find any new plug & play modems attached to your computer". I plugged and unplugged the USB760 to no avail.  Another error message said "Could not find driver software" - Problem: PnP Driver not found. Tried running as Administrator as suggested on some forums, but that didn't do anything either.

I tried everything I (and the CSR) could think of using both the software on the USB760 and the software downloaded from Verizon.  Before I get back on the phone with another CSR, thought maybe someone here might have had a similar problem. Am beginning to think this refurbished device has a problem and it's not our Vista running computers as the CSR stated. My dilemma is that our original new USB760 installed and worked on both Vista 32 & 64 without a hiccup. Also, the external antenna connection on the refurb is worse than the old one - Verizon's antenna adapter plug just falls out and won't stay in.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Vista Not Recognizing USB760 As A Modem
Moebrie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have solved the problem!

Solution: Using backup system disks bundled with both computers, reinstalled the Vista operating systems on both the Dell Studio 17 laptop (Vista Home Premium 32 bit) and the Dell Inspiron laptop (Vista Home Premium 64 bit).

My theory: The problem happened when the previous Verizon Access Manager and Mobile Broadband Generic Drivers were uninstalled prior to reinstalling the program with the replacement USB760. Whereas my XP computers both uninstalled the original Verizon programs cleanly and reinstalled cleanly, both Vista running computers did not. This caused a conflict or corruption in the system which caused the reinstallation of Verizon's software to fail on both Vista computers.

Whether it is Verizon's problem with the software, or a Vista problem, or both, I don't have a clue. But uninstalling the Verizon program via Control Panel's uninstall program caused my problem.

Hope this information helps anyone else experiencing the same problem I had. 

Thank you fellow forum members for your interest in my problem and the willingness to help; very much appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
BradC
Moderator Emeritus
Hi Moebrie. Sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your modem. The appropriate Verizon Wireless point-of-contact has been made aware of the issue and they will be in contact with you soon.
0 Likes
chainman
Try the new software for VZAccess Manager here's the link to your device for Vista 64bit and 32bit
http://vzam.net/download/download.aspx?productid=588
0 Likes
Moebrie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you 'chainman' for the suggestion. The device came preloaded with version 6.9.8 (2132e) which is the same as the link you supplied. I had already downloaded that file previously thinking perhaps the preloaded software could be corrupt, but the downloaded software made no improvement.

Another problem came up last night with the USB760. It suddenly powered down.  Error popup box said that it could not repower the device and to try closing and reopening VAM; if that did not work, then unplug and replug device. Closing/reopening program did nothing, but unplugging and replugging did repower the device.

Never had this error with my previous USB760 (the one that worked on both my Vista computers).

Have tried contacting Verizon via email to get another replacement USB760, but no reply yet ... except the automatic acknowledgement received two days ago.

0 Likes
jpierce1979
That particular Vista computer doesn't like it. Some computers are different. Have you tried contacting Microsoft about why you are not able to install the software? I mean, if the software downloads fine on all of the computers, it seems it may be an issue with just that computer, whether it were a vista or not.
0 Likes
Moebrie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Copper Contributor for the help & ideas. I have a laptop running Vista 32 Home Premium and a desktop running Vista 64 Home Premium (and several XP machines). Previously, with my first USB760, both of the Vista computers and all XP computers recognized the device as a modem when it was plugged in, VAM installed flawlessly (the software is contained in the device itself) and the device worked great for 4 months on all my computers, including the two Vista ones.

My dilemma is why won't either of my Vista computers now not recognize the refurbished replacement USB760 as a modem and that only the mass storage device drivers are seen and installed - neither Vista computer sees a modem attached.  Both Vista computers have not had any changes made to them and had no problem with the other USB760. The refurbished replacement device installs correctly as a modem and mass storage device on all of my XP computers.

Wondering the history on the refurb Verizon sent me; perhaps it was returned by a previous owner due to the same problem. I've asked Verizon for a replacement since my original one worked just fine.

0 Likes
Moebrie
Enthusiast - Level 2
Received e-mail response from Verizon CSR "Miles". He says to send back the replacement USB760 I'm having problems with, using the FedEx air bill received with the device and they will charge me a $35 restocking fee plus there could be additional fees if the device is not working properly. They state they may also refuse the return. Also states that if they accept the return, they will credit the cost of the equipment - allow 3 billing cycles. My one year contract is not up until December 2009 and I suppose they'll also want to charge me an early termination fee ! Have replied to CSR Miles that all I want is a device that works properly, not a refund. Waiting to hear back .....
0 Likes
KaiserBob
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would suggest trying to start a fresh install on your Vista machines before sending the device back. With the modem plugged in go into Control Panel and open Device Manager. If a Novatel modem is listed under Modems, right click it, click uninstall, click the checkbox for delete drivers for this device and hit ok. Unlpug the modem then uninstall VZ Access Manager from Programs and Features in Control Panel, also uninstall Mobile Broadband Generic Drivers which is Novatel's driver package for their modems for good measure. Reboot, plug in the modem and start the VZAM install from from mass storage device Vista recognizes and retest, no reason it shoulden't work if it works on the XP machine.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Moebrie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you KaiserBob for the suggestions & good luck wishes. When inserting the USB760 into a USB port on either Vista computer, there is no modem listed under Device Manager, but listed under Disk Drives is Novatel MMC Storage USB device. When 760 is unplugged, it disappears from the Device Manager list. Have installed and reinstalled VAM about 50 times so far, always going to control panel each time to uninstall both Verizon Access Manager and Mobile Broadband Generic Drivers before attempting a clean installation. There has never been a modem listed in Device Manager in all installation attempts.

Agree with you 100% that this device should install on Vista as my previous 760 installed without a hitch. This has me baffled. Noticed that there is a thread on another website's forum that someone is having the exact same problem with their 727 trying to install on an XP computer.

Another CSR emailed me (that makes 3 different CSRs and 1 technical support person I've communicated with so far) that they understand the problem completely: the device does not fit the computer. I had to laugh at that one. They also said that before they would consider replacing the 760 that I must telephone technical support from a landline and troubleshoot the device. Already told that CSR that I didn't have a landline - only a cell phone. Not sure why they say I have to phone from a landline??? Will phone tech support again - from my cell phone.Wish me luck ...

0 Likes
Moebrie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have solved the problem!

Solution: Using backup system disks bundled with both computers, reinstalled the Vista operating systems on both the Dell Studio 17 laptop (Vista Home Premium 32 bit) and the Dell Inspiron laptop (Vista Home Premium 64 bit).

My theory: The problem happened when the previous Verizon Access Manager and Mobile Broadband Generic Drivers were uninstalled prior to reinstalling the program with the replacement USB760. Whereas my XP computers both uninstalled the original Verizon programs cleanly and reinstalled cleanly, both Vista running computers did not. This caused a conflict or corruption in the system which caused the reinstallation of Verizon's software to fail on both Vista computers.

Whether it is Verizon's problem with the software, or a Vista problem, or both, I don't have a clue. But uninstalling the Verizon program via Control Panel's uninstall program caused my problem.

Hope this information helps anyone else experiencing the same problem I had. 

Thank you fellow forum members for your interest in my problem and the willingness to help; very much appreciated.

0 Likes