Why is unlimited usage not unlimited? 5gb cap. Speed limit.
mcalpine9

I have a 720 modem which I use at my rural home.  I switched from dial-up  to the $60/mo plan in Feb. 08 and was told at the time that I would have unlimited access, assuming I could get a decent signal.  After adding an antenna I was able to get download speeds of 300-400 kbps.  It was great.

Recently I installed a better antenna and my speeds went up to 600-900 kbps.  Life was good.  However, about a week ago, I noticed that my speeds had dropped to only 200 kbps, no more no less.  I fiddled with my antenna, updated everything but got no change.  Talked to 3-4 tech support people before finally one tech checked my usage and said that the fraud dept. had put a speed limit on my connection because my previous month's usage had been 7 GB.

I talked to the fraud dept. and they said that I was being punished for exceeding my 5 GB limit the previous month.  My speed would be limited to 200kbps for 4 weeks.  No warning, no explanation, no appeal, they just did it.  I asked "where in my plan did it say Verizon could limit my speed" and the response was "we can do whatever we want to protect the network".  Now (today) my speed is limited to 200 kbps even though I am way under my 5 GB this month.

I am angry & frustrated and the Verizon commercials on TV just drive me crazy.

How can I get the "unlimited acces" that they promised?  Are there any options?

0 Likes
Re: Why is unlimited usage not unlimited? 5gb cap. Speed limit.
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

WOW! a 2GB overage!?!?!   Did you get charged .05 cents per MB for those overages?

We all live with the 5GB cap, and its definately **NOT** Unlimited.  Lord behold we use too much of their precious bandwidth! LOL

0 Likes
mcalpine9

I did not have to pay for the extra 2G.  I signed up before they started to charge for usage over 5G. 

According to my plan they have to give me unlimited access.  However, the weasels have decided that they could just reduce my speeds and effectively control my usage that way.

These guys have no integrity.

0 Likes
Protege
Contributor - Level 1

I know it's really frustrating - having unlimited then having your speed limited when you go over.  But basically going over too much stresses the network from my understanding. 

Yes, this is unfortunate.  With the way mobile broadband is going I would opt to go to the 5GB limit with .05 cents per overage to avoid this in the future.  This way all you need to do is monitor your usage and stay under 5gb or going slightly over.

I have to ask though - did they really say this is your "punishment?"

0 Likes
wooly

I too have the old "unlimited access" plan.  And I too get my speed slowed down, BUT, its still "unlimited access".  As with any network, traffic sharing must be in control.  I have never been denied access, just slowed down some.

The types of traffic that cause excessive data transfers are simple and some programs give you an option for limiting speed.  Gaming programs are bad for the network, try useing hotspots or a wired connection for that.  P2P networks (music or video) will use alot, most of the time running in the background without the user even knowing its happening.  Anything that streams, internet radio and TV is also a big user.

For me, when its fast, I love it. When its slow, I understand.  Not happy, I just understand.

The term "unlimited" needs to be defined more.  And as with ANY wireless provider, coverage and/or proformance is not guaranteed (this includes speed).

0 Likes
mcalpine9

This is what my plan says to this day. UNLIMITED MB ALLOWANCE  

Nothing about a speed limit or a cap.  Apparently Verizon has sold more capacity than they can deliver.  They sold me a product they can't deliver.   I'm not sure that should be my problem.

It is like renting a car from Hertz or Avis and them offering "unlimited mileage".  Except when you reach 50 miles, suddenly the car will only go 25 mph.  Is that okay?  Driving 70 mph puts too much strain on the car.

I am not a gamer and I have never downloaded a movie or TV show.  I do occasionally use youtube and watch some news clips.  I would not even mind being slowed down sometimes, when the network in overloaded.  No problem.  But my download speed has been "exactly" 200kbps for two weeks.  All day, all night.  Every time I have checked.

I do find it interesting that if I am willing to pay more money ($52 per GB) that suddenly they have no problem finding the additional capacity.  One Tech support guy even suggested getting two plans, two 720 modems.  That way, he said, I could get 5GG more for the equivalent of $12/GB.  What a deal.

As far as the punished statement goes, I said to Tech support "so I am being punished this month for what I did last month?" because I am not over 5GB for this month, and the tech said "I guess you could say that", or words to that effect.

Anyway, I am hopeful that Verizon will look into it and do the right thing.

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
Try going to the VZW homepage, then click About Us at the top, then find the Leadership link. An email or letter fired off to the upper-ups does wonders. The typical email format is firstname.lastname@verizonwireless.com. Express your concern to those who can make the big decisions. Good luck!
0 Likes
Re: Why is unlimited usage not unlimited? KGB cap. Speed limit.
rwturbo

Well I am also on the old unlimited plan. I have been wondering if they were trying to make me leave. I use to get 3-400 Mbps easy, now I am also locked in at the 200 ish range. Mine has been 215 for over a month and When I was contacted back from Verizon and they had me run the test it was slightly increased. Imagine that  increased while on the phone with them closer to 300. Then as soon as we hang up 215 again. I am tired of this. They tell me someone could have built a home or something nearby to cause this. However I know 5 people whom also have broadband with Verizon who share them same or similar issues. One in which lives under a tower.

0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

Live with it or cancel it.  We've all experienced the same thing at one time or another with Verizon.

Its sure better than satellite......(or dialup).

0 Likes
mpciii

I'm fortunate to have signed up before the 5gb cap limit because I am also in a  situation where this is my only option for high speed internet.  I'm actually getting faster speeds with the mifi because we are in the boonies and I can put it up high by a window where the signal is stronger.  I would much rather have my speeds lowered to 200 kbps than get a bill for an extra $100- $1000, like I'm hearing some people complain about.  200 kbps is still a heck of a lot faster than dial up.

That said, I do think 4 weeks is a little much.  It should go to the end of your month, when your usage resets.  That may be a more winnable argument with Verizon than no limitations at all.

0 Likes