In a nutshell, when using a machine with Windows XP SP3, I’m unable to browse/use the internet with Verizon broadband cards. An identically configured machine with Window Vista works fine. I’ve tried two different styles of card (760 and 190), and two correlating version of Access Manager. Access manager sees the card and can activate it, but once I try to connect, it tries to verify the connection for several minutes, before giving the message “Connected – Dormant”. If I go to the statistics tab, my TX max rate is 5 and by RX max rate is 0. When in Vista, I connect almost immediately, with full throughput.
I’ve taken both cards to several different XP machines – two different laptops and a desktop – all ending up with the same problem. Regarding hardware, the configurations vary quite a bit from machine to machine. As far as software, all have Office 2007, but little else – no antivirus or antispam installed, no firewall. Palm hotspot also does not function with the XP machines. The connection works fine, but once you try to surf the net, nothing.
Now for the kicker - if I remove an XP machine for our network domain, the card(s) (and hotspot) work beautifully on that machine. Add the computer back to the domain, they fail.
I could not connect to my Droid hotspot with my XP(sp3) machine while XP was manageing the wireless connections. I found that there was "Intel Pro/Set" software on the computer for the Intel wireless card. As soon as I fired up and confiqured this Interl software, it saw the Droid hotspot and
allowed connection to same.