aircard switches from EVDO Rev A to 1xrtt when connected
dellfan

As of yesterday, every time I connect to the internet my speed goes from EVDO to 1xrtt.  It's like I'm back on dial up.  Has Verizon throttled me?  I have never gone over the 5g cap or even come near it.  I don't want to call just yet, I'm pretty sure I won't get any answer.  But this is not working for me and I'll have to cancel and pay the $175 early disconnect.

BTW, the service worked GREAT for almost six months.

0 Likes
Re: aircard switches from EVDO Rev A to 1xrtt when connected
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
When you say your speed goes "from EVDO to 1xrtt" you are comparing your download speeds or you see the connection in VZAccessManager change from EVDO to 1X? EVDO modems are capable of handing down from EVDO to 1X if you leave an EVDO coverage area. They will not, in most cases, hand back up to EVDO without disconnecting/reconnecting.

I doubt VZW throttles anyone's connection however there are many variables that can cause your speed to drop. Generally, signal strength is the most important one. As received signal strength goes down, speeds drop dramatically.
0 Likes
gw45tx
You may have a differnt situation,,,but check out the "skillet" antenna I posted about today(7/23/09)
0 Likes
dellfan

Apologies for not being clear.  I can see in the little dialogue box the connection switch from EVDO to 1x.  When I run a speed test at that point it shows my DL at 126 kbs.

Also I must say that I've called Verizon twice about this and received terrific customer service both times.  The second time the CR agreed that something was amiss, that such a slow DL  speed was not acceptable and put in a "ticket" for me.

I have not heard back yet, but the connection has improved and only once did it flip back to 1x and the slower speeds.

Thanks for the responses.  And nice going to the "skillet" person - what's that they say about necessity being the mother of invention?

0 Likes
dellfan
I forgot to mention that this laptop alone uses the aircard (no router) and this it is the only laptop in the world that never moves  or goes anywhere.
0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

Exactly what air card do you have?

I have the Pantech UM175.  If you go into the diag screens, you can LOCK onto the EVDO(HDR) mode.  The modem will

only register if it senses that signal.

When I first got my modem I was back and forth between NATIONAL ACCESS, BROADBAND ACCESS, and

BROADBAND ACCESS (rev A).  National Access more than anything.

BUT, since I have locked onto EVDO/HDR in the diag screens, I always pick up REV A.....and I always have a good signal.

So, the question is... If I was getting a good enough signal for me to get EVDO Rev A in the 1st place... why was

my modem switching back to National Access (dialup speed).

Every device has its own sequence for getting into the diag screens though......

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
A hint for VZAccessManager for the diagnostic screens: Control-D, type: diagvzw then enter key. The setting Greg describes is in the "Settings" button.
0 Likes
faber

so i gotten into the screen and see the settings button, but it is not clickable only the bottom two buttons are.  ideas?

0 Likes
faber

solved;

-open the verizon screen thing
-click disconnect, or make sure it isnt connected to the internet
-hit control + d
-enter this in the password spot; diagvzw (just copy and paste it)
-a box opens, click settings
-click for it to only use "HDR"
-click save or whatever it is
-wait for it to adjust your device
-close box and close verizon box WHEN ITS DONE adjusting your device
-wait a couple minutes for good measure
-restart verizon software and log on, supposedly this will let the modem only connect to the faster service.

im trying it out

0 Likes