Re: ambushed!
rcschnoor
Legend

TeeJCee wrote:

It really means that you have to stick to cable, or dsl, and forget 4G.

But this is reasonable, though. If you have a static location, WHY would you need MOBILE broadband. Of course you would stick to cable or some other broadband with unlimited data. You pay a premium for MOBILE broadband to have the MOBILITY. Of course it is going to be more expensive. You pay to have the ability to CHANGE.

For the most part, mobile broadband is meant to be a supplement to static broadband. At least in its current state. Maybe at some point in the future it will be seen as a replacement in ALL situations.

No other industry charges the same prices for "static" services over "mobile" or "changing" services. You always pay a premium. There is additional cost, there should be additional price.

Take airlines for example, you pay an additional cost(quite often very large) for the SAME ticket and the MAJOR additional benefit is the ease of which you can change that ticket. Yet I never hear people complain of being ripped off like they do with cellular.

datapoor
Enthusiast - Level 2

we live two miles outside of cable so our option i think was limited to satalite and the speed was 1.5 down . love the speed of mifi but it looks like i will pay the 155.00 cancelation fee in a month or two and go with the phone company at speeds of 1.5 i think and a very reasonable price.im the first to admit that i knew nothing going into this when we signed contract and should have done some research,just listened and trusted the salesman . i did for the first time ,email the BBB on this and nicole from big red /head office offered 350.00 credit on account for the next two years , half the price of the cost of the 5 gig and the ten gig and said to call her if she can do anything else? tried to contact her to see if i can maybe pay for 20 gig package or ? she will not return my phone calls ,LOL. well better sign off as we are at our limit for the billing month with 14 days to go and thanks for the clarification on the different options.

0 Likes
bigtitan
Contributor - Level 2

An "unexpected" bill hurts no matter what the circumstances are and I'm no big fan of VZWs sales force...but, you let yourself get ripped off. 

I know you were advised not to use Netflix but what else ARE you doing? I defintiely suggest working with a knowledgable person in figuring out your internet options and how to BEST utilise/minimize/maximize the data plan you signed up for...good luck! 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You're welcome!

0 Likes
datapoor
Enthusiast - Level 2

the day we signed with salesman , i did not know enough about the five gig limit and yes it is my fault! we have two ipads, motorola xoom ,dedicated computer. daughter did load pictures and music which i thin did result in using twenty percent of our package in about two hours? signing up with century link as we speak at 29.95.

Skipgalt

I hope you realize that CenturyLink is just a middleman bundler. They provide no value add or technology you can't already get or already have from DirecTV or Verizon.  You will either end up paying them more and using Verizon equipment anyway, or using DirecTV equipment (satellite) and suffer the huge latencies of Internet via satellite and the added bonus of weather outages. Good luck with that choice.

0 Likes