can 2 ctrs use one aircard?
Grandmother
I have a dial up aircard that plugs into my usb port. Is there some way I can route that through a router instead of my computer and then broadcast to another computer in the house, in other words make 2 computers use the same dial up connection via the air card?
0 Likes
Re: can 2 ctrs use one aircard?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
URL: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13534

Location / Path Info, in case I gave the wrong URL:

All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Wireless Networking Forum FAQ » 30.0 Setup » Sharing EV-DO or other cell service from laptop?

^^

Please note the following:

#1 I am not sure what an aircard is, so this is only an educated guess.

#2 While I do have any EV-DO or other cell type of service, I do not have access to the net with my cell phone - based upon the plan that I am on.

#3 And I never have used any EV-DO or other cell service to access the net before.
0 Likes
dmpnashville
What is EV-DO?
0 Likes
Cobalt
Contributor - Level 1
Ev-do is the name of the Broadband wireless data coverage.  It's faster than Verizon's original Enhanced Service network.  You can look at coverage maps on vzw.com.
0 Likes
jpierce1979

I suppose you can try to use a router, but conflicts can occur when doing this. Drivers can conflict, and you are more likely to have more errors and slower connection speeds. And also, consider this, the Broadband is a 5 GB plan. If two people were using the device and, if possible, the same time, you are going to use up those GB far faster and could result in a hefty bill.

You can use the Broadband card on two different devices. Let's say you are using the internet on your desktop and then want to use your laptop. Simply disconnect from the internet on your desktop, take out the Broadband modem and then plug it into the other computer.

0 Likes
p0ng
On Windows XP, goto the Manage Network Connections control panel.  Select both the aircard and your laptop's WiFi interface.  Right click the selection and choose "Create Bridge."  Your laptop then becomes a network bridge between WiFi and the broadband modem.  You can also use the home networking wizard.
0 Likes