is there a usb to mini/micro adapter for my LG 4G LTE USB Modem VL600
gopheraj

I have the  LG 4G LTE USB Modem VL600 and only use it infrequently on my laptop while we are camping throughout the year. I want to get a device such as a tablet and use the modem to find a Directv satellite with an app (which I have located) I found a refurbished android tablet over at Tiger Direct but they all have either a mini or micro usb port. I don't want to get another cell phone and pay a monthly charge since I use it infrequently. The modem has the usb port thingy so I would need an adapter BUT will that work? The tablets work with wifi but where we go there is no wifi. Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Re: is there a usb to mini/micro adapter for my LG 4G LTE USB Modem VL600
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

If you are asking if you can connect your USB Modem VL600 to a tablet over micro USB the answer is No.  USB modems need specific connection software from Verizon Wireless in order to operate.  As of right now VZW has not announced any such software for VZAccess Manager which is what I believe you would need to use for your USB Modem.

VZAccess Manager Supported Devices and OS:

http://www.vzam.net/download/supported.aspx

Work arounds to this situation are possible if you are willing to buy some extra equiptment.  For example you can pick up a Cradlepoint router and plug in your USB modem to provide a WiFi signal.  Then all your tablet would need to do is connect over WiFi to access the internet on your USB modem.  Granted, this scenario is not exactly ideal if you plan to be roaming around a campsite looking for satellite service. You would have to find a plug in power source for the CradlePoint router at each location, but it would work once you found a good spot.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

trade the usb adabter for a hotspot

connect to it with laptop or tablet wirelessly

0 Likes
gopheraj

Well crud!   I guess I'll just have to keep on using the cheapo satellite finder Smiley Sad It works but we tend to cuss a lot LOL

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

what app are you using?

the ones ive seen only need to be downloaded 1 time

go someplace with free wireless, dl it and use it

0 Likes
gopheraj

When I get a minute I can see if I can download to my laptop THEN I can use the app. Most places we go to have no hotspots.

0 Likes
gopheraj
0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

that shoudl work.

but if you have wireless at home, work, library, a restaraunt, ect you should be able to dl it

the one i have seen is overon satteliteguys

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

same one, they have an android version too

0 Likes
gopheraj

I have wireless router here at the house that I use for my "normal" internet (it's through local Windstream)  I need it at the campsite.

0 Likes