"Local Only" access with MiFi (no internet)
susieque
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay . . . I just purchased the VERY expensive MiFi.  Both my laptops (one very old one running windows Xp pro and one fairly new one running Vista) see the device and connect to it but both have LOCAL ONLY connection, meaning I cannot get to the internet (and which means I cannot connect to work network).  I have updated the drivers for my wireless adaptors.  Still have local only connections.   Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "Local Only" access with MiFi (no internet)
susieque
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had to call VZ Wireless support.  Harliss walked me through activating the MiFi and he patiently waited while I connected successfully to the internet on both my laptops.  Thank you, Harliss!  (And it didn't take a long time either!)  I am now up and running on my work laptop, connected to work through a VPN connection.  Exactly what I wanted.  This will be very convenient if I need to work from my elderly mother's home (she does not have internet) which I will have to do on Thursday because of some outpatient surgery she is having.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
susieque
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, I forgot to add that I did install the VZ Access Manager software on the newer PC, but not before I tried to connect to the MiFi without doing so.  Before I installed the VZ Access Manager software, I was able to see and connect to the device but also with "local only" connection.

0 Likes
larrytheG

Did you activate the device via VZACCESS while it was connected to your computer USB?

0 Likes
susieque
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had to call VZ Wireless support.  Harliss walked me through activating the MiFi and he patiently waited while I connected successfully to the internet on both my laptops.  Thank you, Harliss!  (And it didn't take a long time either!)  I am now up and running on my work laptop, connected to work through a VPN connection.  Exactly what I wanted.  This will be very convenient if I need to work from my elderly mother's home (she does not have internet) which I will have to do on Thursday because of some outpatient surgery she is having.

0 Likes