wireless broadband
pgmonster

can someone explain something to me?  i bought the verizon wireless broadband and i am paying $60 amonth for what i was told that the internet would have a download speed of like 1.4MB/s or somthing close to that but now that i have it, i havent seen speeds above 120KB/s.  am i doing something wrong or is that just the verizon network?

0 Likes
Re: wireless broadband
Not applicable

I just tested mine at speedtest.net and got 2.61 down and 0.40 up.  I have a Verizon USB760.

0 Likes
pgmonster

do you think it could be my card, i have the um175

0 Likes
Not applicable

I don't know.  Do you have a good, strong signal?  Are you relatively close to a Verizon tower?  I am using an antenna with mine.  That might help.

0 Likes
casper47

You should be getting speeds between 800 Kbps and 1400 Kbps.  Depending on which device you are using to connect, some have a place for you to connect an external antenna.  They cost about $30.00 from Verizon Wireless for the antenna and adapter cable.

0 Likes
casper47

I just noticed you stated you have the UM175. You can purchase the antenna from Verizon Wireless but be sure you get the adapter for the UM175.

0 Likes
buhgey

I have the same issue.

Most recent speedtest was 200 kbps down, 240 kbps up.  I would love to see 700 kbps.  It's so slow, that webpages time out on me.  Downloads quit....then I am paying twice the bandwith for one file.

Verizon knows there is an issue in my area, and have yet to do anything about it.  It has been months.  Others in my area have complained to Verizon as well.

Call and complain, I keep getting $50 credits on my bill.  I refuse to pay $60 a month for something that is more or less "glorified dial up".

The squeaky wheel gets the oil....these squeaks keep getting louder.

0 Likes
jamanzak

I've been using Verizon Broadband Modems since they first came out. All have had an external antenna port - At least the one's I used did....

I currently have the Verizon Wireless UMW190 Global USB Modem by Pantech & love it. I've purchased several antennas & adapter cables in the past from AntennaGear.net  They seem to have a wide selection.. I use a magnetic mount antenna at home. It always works better when I put it outside on a pizza pan.  

0 Likes
V-refugee

I   am  a  recent  switch   from another  carrier  and  I wish  I hadn't

I   have  the  mini  net  book ,  pay   60  bucks  a month   and  get  very  little    for  my   money   in  fact

I 'd  do  better  with   a  real  laptop  and  internet plan.    but  apparenty  I'm   stuck    with  this   for  2  years

it's  almost  worth  paying  the  cancel  fee  and  moving  on.  think  I'd  rather  have  an ipad-     if I'm   going  to  have  a portable

internet,   I'm  thinking     that  other   carriers  gadget  might  be  a  better  product  and  plan

0 Likes