wireless verizon modem
rocker710

I am trying to get my laptop that has a verizon modem pluged into my usb port to comunicate with my wireless printer and i am not getting anywhere, does anyone have any ideas that will help me get this thing going?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: wireless verizon modem
Not applicable
Your Verizon modem does not connect to your home network. It connects to the internet via the Verizon 3G network. To connect to your home network and your wireless printer, you need to use your computer's internal WIFI adapter or a USB WIFI adapter. Someone, please correct me if I'm missing something here.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable
Your Verizon modem does not connect to your home network. It connects to the internet via the Verizon 3G network. To connect to your home network and your wireless printer, you need to use your computer's internal WIFI adapter or a USB WIFI adapter. Someone, please correct me if I'm missing something here.
0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

Your "wireless" printer is a WiFi device. So what you need is a 3G/WiFi router that your 3G Verizon modem can plug into. Then the router converts the 3G signal to a WiFi signal that both your laptop and your printer can see. Your printer will then be a device your laptop can "remotely" print to just like any other wifi printer on a standard wi-fi network. Just be aware, however, that these are routers specially designed to support 3G modems, not your typical home router you pick up at Best Buy. These are designed for connection to wired cable and dsl modems, not 3g modems and cards.  The 3GStore www.evdoforums.com is one place to find the necessary routers. I'm sure there are others but that can give you a start as to where to look.

Another option that might work is a MiFi instead of a usb modem. Basically the same idea as the router but the modem is built into the router instead of an external dongle. Not sure if printers can be connected to these or not but if so, that would provide a cleaner solution than the 3g router/usb modem setup.

0 Likes
rocker710

thank you for your help on yhe printer problem, i will try it and see if it works

0 Likes