4G LTE Signal goes white and data connection lost
BluJay75
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the last 3-4 weeks I've started to have problems with my Droid Bionic 4G LTE loosing data connectivity intermittently in the Minneapolis / St. Paul VerizonWireless area.  Has anyone else been experiencing this problem as well?  The connectivity is consistently hit and miss throughout the entire metro and suburbs areas.  4G LTE connection good for 5-10 mins with data connectivity (blue signal color on the 4G LTE) and then the 4G LTE turns from blue to white and the data connection is lost!  Any ideas what could be causing this problem.  I have a friend with the exact same problem, so I'm pretty confident that it is not the phone, but rather Verizon Wireless' network.  Note that the phone generally (98% of the time) retains the 4G LTE signal, but the "data" connectivity seems to "disconnect".  Over subscription issue on the backside of the VzW Network?

1 Solution
BluJay75
Enthusiast - Level 2

I upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 for the Droid Bionic (the leaked version).  I've not had single problem since.  I would highly recommend this if your still experiencing problems.  Of course, I'm not responsible for anyone who accidently "bricks" their phone.  However, this being said it is realatively easy to upgrade to the new leaked ICS 4.0.4.  And it is possible to roll back to Gingerbread 2.3.4 if you need to.  Check out videos on Youtube.com

View solution in original post

0 Likes
211 Replies
FWH
Enthusiast - Level 3

I received the update this morning. The 4G LTE dropping issue is solved. I now have a solid connection to 4G! The phone is much quicker in everything you do on it. Of course there is a slight learning curve, as with any operating system, but once one learns it they won't ever want to go back to Gingerbread.

The only drawback I've noticed is that there is much more drain on the battery. No problem as I will just put the "extended" battery on and removed the battery that came with the phone.

Put me down as a satisfied Bionic user now. Wondering how many more improvements JB will give us in the near future when we receive that update?

0 Likes
kerryb23
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too received the update and installed it and all of the issues I had have vanished.  The phone operates like it should have in the first place, no more lost signal, is almost always on 4G network now.  As far as the JB update, I have read that the Droid Bionic is not slated to get that update.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

kerryb23 wrote:

As far as the JB update, I have read that the Droid Bionic is not slated to get that update.

it's still on Motorola's update list:

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

DROID BIONIC (XT875)

ICS Upgrade (Android 4.0.4) rollout began in October 2012. Will be upgraded to Jelly Bean (Android 4.1)

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I just wished it would come a little sooner  Tik or maybe i need to invest in a new Maxx HD so i get it before the years Up b  wishful thinking..

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could put that Maxx HD on your Christmas wish list instead of the Bose speaker! 

0 Likes
B33
Legend

You want one Too!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I dunno ... now that I have ICS on my Bionic, it's like getting a new phone. 

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Cool Tiki!   Ya Hoo b

0 Likes
reom73

I received my update on Wednesday and I spent the whole day trying to make the phone work. After 2 days I can say that the system is way slower, it takes at least 10 second to open any app. My Exchange Server email is the worst. I tired to remove several app but still slow. I feel like I installed Windows Vista inn old  Pentium M Processor laptop..soo slow. What is wrong here? It was supposed to be faster!!

0 Likes
Gmancometh
Enthusiast - Level 3

Besides ICS fixing my data issues, I think that ICS sucks. I want my Gingerbread back, but with a working data connection. There are many features that I don't like and ones they took away and the Smart Actions app is the dumbest thing since........I don't know, you pick.

0 Likes
DrewVT6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got my ICS rollout in LA yesterday morning. Took only a few minutes to load, but I spent the rest of the day playing with the system. I don't see anything much more spectacular, but my data certainly is working MUCH better now. Did a speed test and got a 19.8download/5.2upload speed.

0 Likes
Jaysonol
Enthusiast - Level 3

Took 10 minutes to install this morning.  Been running a few hours now with solid 4G.  Fingers crossed, but looks like the issue may have been finally fixed.  Overall, phone is much faster now too!  Very cool.

Gmancometh
Enthusiast - Level 3

ICS has been downloaded and installed on my Bionic. No problems so far. Everything is running smoothly, even the data 🙂 I do have one question for the techies............how do I manage my battery usage? I know on Gingerbread I was able to have the data turn off after so many minutes of inactivity (I had mine set to 15 minutes). Then, it would "wake up" once I unlocked my phone. How do I do that in ICS??

0 Likes
Gmancometh
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I was able to speak with 2 technical support individuals late last week in an Ohio facility, and they acknowledged that this is a known issue for the Bionic. They even offered to replace my phone, free of charge, and without restarting my contract. I told them that I would wait for the update and see if it fixes the issue, because I don't want to have to go through all the BS in getting a new phone. My phone is fine, it's just the data connection issues that drive me crazy. Anyways, they DID verify that ICS is coming for the Bionic and have also promised a follow-up call with me tomorrow to see if I got the update yet. We shall see...............

0 Likes
djosito123

This is a constant issue here in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area... I  have been dealing with since May of this year....I have called numerous times to verizon reps and even had the NRB (network repair Bureau) look into this and no one can give me solid answer as to why this is happening and how to fix it. One time they told me the resolution was to purchase a $250 dollar network extender and that would give me better signal. I laughed and told them that was not a solution, so 6 months later I am still fighting with this issue.

It seems verizon is only interested in making money so they send you our replacement phones ( or as I like to call them Band-Aid fixes) that will fix the issue for a week or month at best then you get right back where you started.

Someone needs to get to the bottom of this quick...its ridiculous that we are not getting the service we are charged for on a monthly basis....verizon is not holding there end of the deal so you can fight and waive the early termination fee....

we need to stand up for what is right and not let verizon push us around only providing sub par service.

0 Likes
djosito1234

update: I am running ICS on a motorola droid razrr maxx and this my 3rd phone they have sent me in the 6 month period i have been dealing with this issue. Its ridiculous that I have to deal with this...all my software is good, they said they even made changes and updated some things on thier end of the network and still happening so Its not a simple software fix....

0 Likes
Gmancometh
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anyone get the ICS update yet OTA? I am getting frustrated with my phone losing data connectivity and would really like to see if this ICS update fixes the problem.

0 Likes
cpla

No ICS yet for me in Tampa, Fl. I would be interested to see if anyone has

had their issues fixed with it.

0 Likes
Aggie94
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here in NW AL. Nothing happening. Makes you almost wonder if the whole

announcement was a bluff to keep us quiet a while longer???

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You-guys apparently don't know how to use the search feature.

Yes, the update is rolling out.  Keep in mind that it's done in waves, so it can take a while before you get it.  But ... be careful what you wish for ... there are folks out there that are having more issues with the update:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/890049#890049

0 Likes