Advanced Task Killer
troutbeck

I know that the Droid 2 comes with the "Battery Manager", but will adding ATK help of hinder the phone?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Advanced Task Killer
Graywolfscv

Hinder. 

Google put a new code into Android 2.2 that blocks all Task Killers from working correctly.  The OS and the TK will end up opening and closing random programs and basically make your phone act possessed.  If you have one on there, remove it.

0 Likes
Droiddudeaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a Droid 2 last week. After fiddling with the Task Killer I find that if you set the 'Kill Frequency' on 'Crazy and the security on 'medium' it works well. With Motoblur lite on there, many more task's open than with the Droid 1. So far, since I reset ATK, the battery life has increased by about 50 %.

0 Likes
Joe_Evaristo
Contributor - Level 1

troutbeck wrote:

I know that the Droid 2 comes with the "Battery Manager", but will adding ATK help of hinder the phone?

Thanks.

Task killers are unnecessary on Android phones--they can cause problems.

Here's a good article about why task killers are unnecessary: http://www.droid-den.com/android-guides/android-guide-should-i-use-a-task-killer

And an Android Developer blog entry with supporting information on the subject: http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html

Google cut much of the guts out of the functionality of task killers in Android 2.2 because they cause problems.

0 Likes
Droiddudeaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I put up a post earlier today on Google 2.2 and using Task Killers and after reading here and some other articles about how Froyo 2.2 has an internal app/battery manager. I had said, initially, that the task killer would be a good thing on the Droid 2, based on the way it worked on my original Droid and seeing how many apps open up when you hit the power button on the Droid 2. After a couple of weeks of interacting with funky screen issues and widgets not working, I read a post here on the Verizon blogs that said Froyo 2.2 has an internal app manager that kills apps when necessary. I uninstalled my ATK and my scrolling issues stopped and my homescreen widgets  started working normally again. Most importantly my battery life is noticeably better without the taskkiller going in the background. I have to say that my D2 is working much better without the task killer.

0 Likes
RONRON96

Quick question:  Do I need to turn off then turn on again after I input the new settings, or can I just leave it on after new settings are set?

0 Likes
Coral916

ok...so when I bought my Droid 2 phone the rep said FIRST thing to do is add this app!!  Now after reading this thread I guess that is what's causing it to turn diffent apps on & off!.  So now I can't figure out how to uninstall it.  Can someone please help me?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coral916 wrote:

ok...so when I bought my Droid 2 phone the rep said FIRST thing to do is add this app!!  Now after reading this thread I guess that is what's causing it to turn diffent apps on & off!.  So now I can't figure out how to uninstall it.  Can someone please help me?

Open Market. Press Menu > Downloads.  Scroll to the app and select.  There will be an Uninstall button at the bottom of screen.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes