Android Ice Cream Sandwich Update
bd-the-g

We are approaching a year since the Incredible 2 was supposed to be upgraded to Android 4.0. There haven't been any updates from either HTC or Verizon on the status of ICS. So, a couple of questions:

1) Has this update been cancelled? The phone is reaching its end-of-life (most people are due for a phone upgrade).

2) When will the Incredible 2 be removed from the Advanced Device List, reducing the early termination fee? It would be nice for VZW to do this or to waive the ETF entirely, considering the phone is running a version of Android that is 2+ years old.

To add to the problem with the delayed software, the Verizon cloud backup app was forcing closed quite frequently, despite my best efforts to keep the software from running at all (I neither need nor want the app to do anything at all). However, that problem seems to have been fixed recently. There are other, less severe things that VZW has done to the operating system that reduces usability and control, but I won't get too far into those here.

I'm not very pleased with the situation right now.

0 Likes
Re: Android Ice Cream Sandwich Update
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

1. Check out 'Can I upgrade my phone to android 4.0?' https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/799737

2. The phone will always remain a smartphone/advanced device no matter how old it is.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Android Ice Cream Sandwich Update
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

The age of the device does not change how much of the cost was subsidized by Verizon, which is the basis for the ETF.  Also, you agreed to the ETF in your contract.

0 Likes
bd-the-g

The original HTC Incredible (along with some other older devices) are no longer on the Advanced Device List, which is why I assumed that devices eventually move off of the list.

The thread you linked to, demmo86rt (who also posted here) states the incredible 2 will not be given an ICS update. I'd like to know a source for this information. The last statement by HTC that I've seen is that they're still working it.

I understand I agreed to the ETF, and I understand that the ETF is there because a portion of monthly fee goes towards my phone's cost. However, it isn't directly based on the original cost of my phone. If it were, my monthly fee would go down after my 2 year contract is up. It does not.

Contracts are two way streets. I know that I agreed to certain terms and conditions, but I should be able to have a reasonable expectation that Verizon will not install software that forces closed approximately half the I use my phone. When a background application forces closed, it steals focus, which becomes at the very least an major annoyance. Depending on what I am doing, it can become more than just an annoyance.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Dinc and the Dinc2 are still on this advance device list. http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/information/software_updates.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jonathanv

Hi. I'm a fellow miserable Incredible 2 owner. It's a nice piece of hardware in my opinion. Unfortunately, no one is supporting it even though we continue to pay outrageous monthly bills. Well, you do. I don't.

You should do what I did if your 2 year contract isn't going to be over within the next couple of months. Immediately cancel your Verizon contract and switch to talkforgood.com. I know this will work with your phone because I have the same phone as you.  You will get the same service but you pay much less. You can probably choose a plan cheap enough to make up for your cancellation fee in a few months, and then you can start saving up a pile of money to spend on your next phone.

When you are satisfied with how much you have saved, buy your next phone yourself. Don't subsidize with a contract. That's a scam. Cancellation fee varies depending on how much time you have left on it, but your phone is probably worth about $45--less than I'm currently saving on my monthly bill--so you do the math. They are screwing you every month.

Above all, your next phone should not be an HTC phone on a Verizon network. HTC drops support for phones all the time and Verizon doesn't even keep the Galaxy Nexus up to date. Even Sprint's lousy track record is much better than theirs. I will probably get a Nexus straight from Google because I'm sick of carriers and manufacturers ruining my user experience.

0 Likes
bd-the-g

The original HTC Incredible is not on this list: http://support.verizonwireless.com//information/advanced_devices.html

The list you referenced seems to be in regards to software updates.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The original DROID Incredible was never scheduled to get the ICS update. The Dinc2 was listed as getting ICS, but like demmo86rt mentioned that idea has probably been dropped off.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That list also has the OG DROID, DROID Eris, and a few other older smartphones missing from it. It also is referring to which phones are being covered by the insurance option. Either way the Dinc and Dinc2 remain smartphones no matter how old they are.

0 Likes
bd-the-g

It seems strange that they maintain multiple advanced device lists.

0 Likes