BIONIC Update 5.5.893 seriously reduces battery life, I wish I hadn't installed it.
rpalston

I updated my Bionic on Friday 12/9/2011. While in many cases I can see snappier performance the battery life has been seriously affected. I have the extended runtime battery which until Friday always gave me up to 48 hrs of runtime. Now I'm lucky to get 18. Has anyone else seen this problem? I'd hate to think what the runtime would be like with the standard battery. Anyone know can I / how to go back to the previous version? This is a seriously bad release; _come on_ with all your resources Verizon/Moto you get to fix all those bugs and no one noticed the runtime changing so much?

0 Likes
Re: BIONIC Update 5.5.893 seriously reduces battery life, I wish I hadn't installed it.
Bionic_3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know it's silly to mention, but did you recheck your setting? Both of my kids received the update on 12/09 and have not seen any difference in the battery life. One is in a 4G LTE area all the time and the other is in the same 3G extended network as I am.

0 Likes
Re: BIONIC Update 5.5.893 seriously reduces battery life, I wish I hadn't installed it.
rpalston

Yes, I event went paranoid and pushed it to max powerr savings with no significant affect. Do they have the extended battery pack or the standard one? The performance on the update is clearly superior in all other ways apart from this battery thing. This is a corporate phone so I use coprprate email too and its noticably faster reading email now.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

with the update, new things may be running in the background that weren't running before.

see if you have any new apps.

0 Likes
pappy53
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everywhere that I have read, people are getting better battery life. Must be something in your settings, or maybe battery went bad.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

This hasn't been my experience (i.e., my battery life does not seem to have been reduced)

If anything, I was thinking that the battery life is better...but it's hard to say for sure without doing a rigorous A/B test (i.e., I don't use the phone the same way every day).

0 Likes
Bionic_3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in the process of downloading the update right now. I will let you know about battery life in a day or two. I too, use my phone mostly for work, especially email. I just wish the update included something to fix Good for Enterprise. It's a crappy application, but I am forced to use it.

0 Likes
ICBM

I just updated mine and still find it as unstable. I've lost connection to the web 3 times in the 5 minutes since I've updated my firmware.

I hope it gets stronger with time Verizon.. :manmad:

0 Likes
bionic1
No update for me, i keep getting the try again later response....beginning to think it is bogus..
0 Likes
Bionic_3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I updated my phone at 9:15 AM today. The phone had already been off the charger since 7:30 AM. I completed the update and then used my phone as usual throughout the day. This included 20 minutes using the Nav application, 90 minutes of conference calls using the speaker phone, receiving and reading 67 emails, responding to 41 emails, using the browser for 15 minutes and updating four applications, including that piece of crap Good for Enterprise. I also moved in and out of 4G LTE areas during the day.

It is now 6:55 PM and my battery is still at 50%. I have not dropped a data connection even once today. My 3G signal right now at home is stronger than it has ever been with this phone.

I don't know what other people are experiencing with this update, but it's been a good experience for me. The battery life on my phone is, and always has been very good.

Oops: forget to mention - I have the extended battery. I travel a lot for business and the bigger battery is a life saver.

0 Likes