BIONIC is not performing well since JB
tysonef163
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since JB 4.1.2, my Bionic has been performing really poorly.  Not only my Bionic, but i've had Asurion send me 2 others since June 2013, because i figured it had to be an isolated problem- a bona fide defect.  But, no.  Even the subsequent refurbished units bogged down under normal use every day.  I get delayed functions and reaction to presses of the finger.  I have to go into Stock Recovery and set to wipe cache to get it to run smoothly again.  But, that only lasts a few hours. I don't really see the point in continuing to trade garbage refurbished devices with Asurion any more.  So, i now do this no less than twice per day as part of my daily routine.  That doesn't include a few regular reboots peppered in there throughout the week.  I'm really unhappy with what Verizon did to the Bionic with their 4.1.2 update.  Additionally, i cannot understand how my wife's Droid RAZR M has the "same version" of JB installed on it and my BIONIC is lacking features that she has.  For instance, we got Chromecast to play movies, etc from Android (and others) to the TV.  Her RAZR M can cast movies from Google Play Movies & TV app, but the same app on my BIONIC doesn't have that cast icon displayed.  I've read that this could be the fault of Google, but it seems odd. I can cast Play Music, and YouTube (Google apps), but not Play Movies & TV, or Netflix.  Verizon has treated the Bionic, and Bionic owners as second class (if that) for quite a while now. 

I would happily buy a new device, but without an upgrade due, anything comparable to what Bionic used to be considered [flagship] is way too expensive.  Actually, any device without the subsidy of the 2 yr contract is ridiculously expensive.  I have talked with VZW Customer service and sales reps, to no avail.  They read the cue cards and further the impression that Verizon Wireless doesn't give a rip about current customers.  They only want to draw in new customers. 

After over 13 years as a Verizon Wireless customer, i'm seriously considering dumping them and going to a carrier that doesn't choke the customer experience to a barely tolerable scenario, predicated by throwing your money away on a device that you can count on being adversely affected by the painfully slow software upgrade process, in itself, offering gimmicks to cover up the damage it does to overall performance of the phone they suckered you in with 6 months earlier.  The term update or upgrade used to mean a progressive iteration resulting in (at least- some) improvement. 

JB 4.1.2 on Bionic was a mistake for Verizon, Motorola, Droid, Google; whoever caused it. 

0 Likes
Re: BIONIC is not performing well since JB
Mraoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not JB's fault, it's all of the bloatware that Moto and VZW put on it. Unfortunately the only way to make it better is to disable a bunch of the Moto and VZW bloatware elements -- which is not possible unless you head over to some other android forums and gain more access to do so (I don't think I can mention what I'm alluding to in this forum). After I disabled a bunch of things the phone runs much better than it used to.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

You can very easily disable these in Jelly Bean. First you need to uninstall any updates to the apps. Then from Manage apps go to the app you want to disable   open the icon and click Disable.

A decent list of what to disable is located below (but that varies from user to user as some people insist on using one or more of these).

Amazon Kindle

Amazon MP3

Apps (this is a Verizon Apps Store)

Backup Assistant (can be one of many variations of this)

NewBayService

Facebook

Google Play Books

Google Play Movies & TV

Google +

MOG Music

Music Store

My Verizon Mobile (also one of the largest Data Hogs)

NFL Mobile

Slacker Radio

Slingbox

Smart Actions

V Cast Tones

Verizon Video

VZ Navigator

YouTube

Quick Office

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those same apps could have been disabled with the ICS operating system too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tysonef163
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mraoul,

are you a bionic user, or are your recommendations theoretical?  I've done all the "freezing" that i think the device can stand, and still function.  The fact for me (with 3rd Bionic now) is that 4.1.2 makes the device underperform.  I have no doubt VZW plays a large part in this.  My OP was simply a rant, after being recently mishandled (IMO) by VZW Tech Suppt and Sales.  I felt compelled to do it, BC it seems to me they don't care how they've messed this OS update up, and they are unbelievably inflexible when it comes to making a subsidy offering prior to the 2yr min contract expiration.  It seems like they are only this inflexible because not enough people are complaining or raising the issue of the 4.1.2 problem.  Maybe it's only me and my combination of apps that i use; IDK.  I've changed just about all apps i use in the last 6 months to try and get improved performance, but it isn't happening.

If you have definitive solutions that work on BIONIC running 4.1.2, I'd appreciate you sharing them.  I know all about the access you speak of.  Like i said, i've disabled just about everything i can think of that won't kill my OS, but the device is still a terrible underperformer, even compared to ICS version of software.

Thanks for sharing any personal experience with your BIONIC

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried to factory reset the device without reloading the settings and applications?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tysonef163
Enthusiast - Level 2

i guess i didn't mention that.  going through 3 devices now, yes; starting form scratch and slowly loading minimal number of apps has been part of the process.  Even FDR after having latest device in hand for a month.  I will perform tolerably for a period, but then falls down on the job.  And to say tolerably, is still worse than it did on ICS, mind you.

It makes sense that if you load too many apps, you can expect it to affect performance, but it IS AN ANDROID device, after all, and is designed to run apps.  I'm finding that some apps are problematic, and i find alternatives to those to see if it improves. 

I appreciate your response, but what I'm really interested in is other BIONIC users that are experiencing and (hopefully) overcoming the same issues.  suggested troubleshooting by VZW support and non-BIONIC users isn't getting it done. 

What is your daily device?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't have the Bionic, but I still wanted to verify that you have any completed that step even if I did own one.

is one user I'm aware of on the community with a DROID Bionic.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I saw this thread earlier and didn't respond because the OP said they are "interested in other BIONIC users that are experiencing and (hopefully) overcoming the same issues".  I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my Bionic.  But to add to the thread ... the only other things I can think of to try are a system cache clear (although the OP says they've done a FDR) and running the phone in safe mode (but again, the OP says they've tried eliminating troublesome apps).

0 Likes
tysonef163
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tikibar1

yeah, i reboot AND separately clear cache at least once per day.  often, it is more than once.  I guess it's nice to know someone out there has a BIONIC and doesn't have these issues.  It must be my use scenario/apps combinations causing my problems.  I consider myself a heavy user (social network apps, corporate email and gmail, web, forums, Google DRIVE, Maps, I even interface with remote computer systems for work with my device).  Any chance you're not a heavy user, and therefore, not experiencing the lag i describe?

0 Likes