Backup Assitant Plus (PHONE)...On Droid X
B33
Legend

Seen this new App in my ( Apps Drawer ) in the Market on my Droid X has anyone gotten this app on there X or phone they Currently have. Just was wondering. B33

0 Likes
Re: Backup Assitant Plus (PHONE)...On Droid X
detroitjames
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't used it personally but I know someone who has. It backs up your media along with your contacts. It's really not a necessary application if you have minimal computer skills to move your pictures/ videos/ music to your computer, then transfer that information to a new phone once you get it. You could also just move the memory card from  your old phone to your new phone. The SD card won't save your contacts, but if you're going from Android to Android, simply moving the SD card over would be the easiest option to retrieve files. "Regular" Backup assistant would still be used for contacts.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i just got a ba update notification today for the dx & it's the plus version listed in manage apps.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well i wanted to ask if any one has seen this app pop up on there phone or phones looking at it on the Market forum No body want's it or have anything to do with it. But it does'nt hurt to ask here as well When apps don't get good reviews i stay away from them an this one looks to me to fit that Bill.

0 Likes
detroitjames
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can't imagine how long it might take to restore media files to a new phone. Depending on how many pictures/songs are backed up, it could take forever to restore that information to a new phone, depending on if the phone is 4G capable and if it is in a good internet coverage area.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i'll only use it for contacts but who knows if that might change.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i looked at installing it on home pc & it wants wmp, quicktime & 1 other one.

i use wmp 8 & don't want the latest & greatest wmp so i didn't install on home pc so it will remain primary backup.

many folks talk of shortcomings of ba but i've got many contacts with no email so it's good for me & i've used it for years without any problems.

anything i put in gmail/contacts still ends up on the dx but won't be duplicated in ba..

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

it's what used to be the vcast media manager. just another vzn app that they want you to pay $3/month for. you get 25gigs of storage space in the cloud though.....so you can access the files from anywhere.

i use mybackup pro. i just backup everything to my sd card. doesn't take long and what i like about it is that when you factory reset your device, you can restore the data, along with the app, so you don't lose your levels/place in games and such (not sure, but you may have to be rooted in order to backup the corresponding data files with the apps?). takes a couple minutes to backup the ENTIRE device......and takes a couple minutes to restore the ENTIRE device after a reset.

0 Likes
smartphoneguru
Contributor - Level 1

so they combined it with the back up assistant and vcast or something? I just use google contacts..

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I use backup assistant 🙂 its free and another place to backup information. If I ever go down to a dumb phone at least I don't have to manual enter the numbers.

The "cloud" deal I use the free 500MB one just for certain files for work lol.

0 Likes