Battery Life with froyo...
MarissaSupersta

Has anyone posted about how to extend battery life with the new update (froyo)? I finally figured out how to keep my battery life good with 2.1, but now with 2.2 its back to bad battery life, and I'm reading its made so you cant kill apps? I tried the app killers for froyo, but then I read somewhere force stopping the program will make the battery drain more, and to just let it hibernate in the background... has anyone found a solution to this? Any info would be helpful. Thanks so much for your time.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery Life with froyo...
john129
Enthusiast - Level 3
Ok guys....here is the latest reply I have gotten from HTC. I previously tried everything EXCEPT the battery software reset at the end of the letter, gonna try that now! Dear John, Thank you for contacting HTC in regards to your Incredible. I am sorry to hear that the battery life is not acceptable for your usage. There are some things you may be able to do to prolong your battery life. You can try downloading Advanced Task Killer from the Android Market to reduce the system resources requirements. You may also want to create quick links to your Bluetooth, Wifi, and Mobile Network so you can toggle them when they are not in use. If you have multiple emails set up on the phone, and you have it set to download every so often you may want to change the download frequency of your accounts. To do this, go to each email Inbox and hit Menu -> More -> Settings -> Send/Receive -> Download Frequency and change it to manual. To create the quick links on your main screen, tap and hold on an empty space on one of your home screens, choose Widget -> Power Control and this will allow you to toggle your wireless controls and your backlight (which can also eat battery). If you are still experiencing battery life issues after all that, try this charging method: Let the battery die or get to red status. Hook it up for charging and let it fully charge. Disconnect your charger, turn the phone off, then reconnect your charger and let it charge to full. Turn your phone on then off then on, and hook up for charging again till fully charged. This will reset the software that reads the battery life and will ensure that the battery is getting fully charged. You should not have to do this every time.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TLBauer3617
Contributor - Level 1

Here are a couple of things that seemed to help for me:

1.  Go to Settings / Accounts & sync.  Turn off completely the sync for weather and stocks (and I believe there was one for news that I turned off.)  I have Facebook and I also changed that sync to once every 4 hours.

2.  If wiFi is turned on, turn it off.  Only turn it on when you need it.

I am a lite to moderate user of my phone and I have the 3500 extended battery.  Under 2.1, I got almost 6 days on a single charge.  After installing 2.2, the battery was almost 60% depleted.  After making the changes above, my situation seems to have stabilized somewhat, though it is not back to what it was under 2.1.

0 Likes
kschaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I didn't get a noticeable increase in battery life on my DInc following the 2.2 update. As other users are posting all over this forum, ATK is at odds with 2.2 because it has to tangle with tasks that restart soon after they are killed, making your battery a victim of your task killer. I would check your downloaded apps to see if they are functioning efficiently with Froyo.

You memory should be fine without the task killer; however, if you want longer battery life without adjusting your usage habits, your best bet may be to get a higher capacity battery.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

my battery life is no better, nor worse. i went back in and made sure all of my settings were as i had them before the update. i keep the screen brighness down quite a bit. i don't sync/update facebook (i use the mobile site, not the app). like the above post...i turned off the sync for news, weather, and stocks (i just manually have the weather update when i check the widget). i have my email only check every 15 minutes and i have my screen time out after 15 seconds. i get 24 hours of up time and close to 3 hours of awake time (actual use) before i have to charge which works fine for me. basically it's a full day as long as i'm not actually using it for things for more than 3 hours. (stock battery)

0 Likes
TLBauer3617
Contributor - Level 1

I am finding that if you leave the WiFi turned on at 2.2, then the battery drains much more quickly than under 2.1.  I have an extended battery (seidio 3500), and under 2.1 I would get almost 6 full days use between charges.

After installing 2.2, and after an overnight charge with the phone off, my extended battery was 60% depleted in 24 hours.

If I turn the WiFi off when not using it, then I have noticed that my battery lasts much longer.  Toward that end, I installed an app from the Marketplace called "Battery Booster."  It has a setting that will allow it to turn off the WiFi and Bluetooth when the phone goes to sleep.

However, I should think that this is some kind of "bug", since I did not have this problem at 2.1 ... or there is a setting somewhere else in the system that I am missing.

0 Likes
john129
Enthusiast - Level 3

My battery life FAIR at best when I had 2.1, but since the update it has gone to total s#!t.  I have tried everything from a total factory reset of the phone (which I dont reccomend as you will lose all phone and downloaded apps) to disabling 99% of the widgets that are running  .I removed ATK and anti-virus.   I also try to manage my wi-fi usage and gps usage as much as possible.  While I love the power and functionality of the phone, the bottom line is I need a phone to make calls on and to send text.  If I go out for more than 8 hrs I have to worry about finding a place to charge my phone, which is insane.  On top of that, it also takes my phone approx 5 hrs to fully chage since the update, before that I could charge it in approx 1 hr.  The only solution might be to get the extended battery. Love the phone, HATE the battery life! 

ps....my buddy has an iPhone and says he easily goes 36 hrs between charges, thats a full day and a half and he is a heavy internet and app user!  If Apple can make a phone thats lasts so long, why cant Anroid platform?

0 Likes
Chillenout

You all need to download an app in the market called juice defender.  

After Froyo my battery lasted less than 8 hours...I made 1 phone call in those 8 hours that lasted maybe 5 minutes.  

After I downloaded Juice defender and set it up,  my extended 7150 battery lasts approx 12-13 hours with moderate internet use. 

0 Likes
TLBauer3617
Contributor - Level 1

Chillenout wrote:

You all need to download an app in the market called juice defender.  

After Froyo my battery lasted less than 8 hours...I made 1 phone call in those 8 hours that lasted maybe 5 minutes.  

After I downloaded Juice defender and set it up,  my extended 7150 battery lasts approx 12-13 hours with moderate internet use. 

I think an even better app is "Battery Booster", and it is free.  It has settings that will turn off the WiFi when the phone goes to sleep.  This has greatly increased my battery life.

I am using the 1750mah battery.  I unplugged from the charger on Sunday morning.  Here on Tuesday morning, I still have 62% charge remaining.  I am a lite to moderate user of the phone:  make a few calls each day, text messaging, and checking facebook.  Not a heavy internet user on my phone.

0 Likes
john129
Enthusiast - Level 3
Ok guys....here is the latest reply I have gotten from HTC. I previously tried everything EXCEPT the battery software reset at the end of the letter, gonna try that now! Dear John, Thank you for contacting HTC in regards to your Incredible. I am sorry to hear that the battery life is not acceptable for your usage. There are some things you may be able to do to prolong your battery life. You can try downloading Advanced Task Killer from the Android Market to reduce the system resources requirements. You may also want to create quick links to your Bluetooth, Wifi, and Mobile Network so you can toggle them when they are not in use. If you have multiple emails set up on the phone, and you have it set to download every so often you may want to change the download frequency of your accounts. To do this, go to each email Inbox and hit Menu -> More -> Settings -> Send/Receive -> Download Frequency and change it to manual. To create the quick links on your main screen, tap and hold on an empty space on one of your home screens, choose Widget -> Power Control and this will allow you to toggle your wireless controls and your backlight (which can also eat battery). If you are still experiencing battery life issues after all that, try this charging method: Let the battery die or get to red status. Hook it up for charging and let it fully charge. Disconnect your charger, turn the phone off, then reconnect your charger and let it charge to full. Turn your phone on then off then on, and hook up for charging again till fully charged. This will reset the software that reads the battery life and will ensure that the battery is getting fully charged. You should not have to do this every time.
0 Likes
budone
Legend

Except for the task killer suggestion, they are all good ideas. Brightness of the screen and how long it is set to remain on is a couple other thoughts.

0 Likes