Battery drains
sallysst

After installing the new upgrade, my battery drains completely during the day with no usage, just sitting on my desk. Did I lose power saving settings? Are there other settings I need to change?

0 Likes
Re: Battery drains
Invalid-username

I as well am having the same problem. I have read other threads that many others are having the same trouble. Most of them have said to clear the cache to resolve the problem. I just cleared mine so I will know in a day or so if this helps at all. I will post back here if it does.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, clearing the system cache may help.  Also, once installed, the new operating system needs a few days to optimize the phone, during which time the battery life may be worse and/or the phone act funky.  And yes, you lost power saving settings in the sense that the way they were set up in Gingerbread isn't the way to do it with Ice Cream Sandwich.  You may want to disable background data and turn off wifi/bluetooth when not using them to save battery, as well as disable any apps you don't use (that's a new feature in ICS).  Several threads on this forum about the changes and 'fixes' if you want to do a search.

0 Likes
sallysst

Thanks, I did follow several of the threads and did the cache clearing and disabled several of the apps you recommended in another post. We will see if that helps.

It looks like Winamp is using alot of data, I did a force stop on it.

Where do I disable background data?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

sallysst wrote:

system settings > data usage > menu > check 'restrict background data'

You'll then have a notification in the notification bar that background data is disabled until you re-enable it.

0 Likes
Not applicable

sallysst wrote:

Thanks, I did follow several of the threads and did the cache clearing and disabled several of the apps you recommended in another post. We will see if that helps.

It looks like Winamp is using alot of data, I did a force stop on it.

I would go back and double check. Some of this stuff turns right back on if you still had background data still on when you forced closed.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi sallysst,

I know how inconvenient it is to have a short battery life on your phone (I use mine all day). My son had a similar issue with his phone after a software upgrade and we resolved by doing a factory reset http://goo.gl/lV0mv to the phone. Software updates are always intended to improve your phone's performance, however, sometimes 3rd party applications are not optimized for the new software version and may cause different post software update issues. It is highly recommended to do a factory reset after a software update to minimize issues after update, please try and keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes