Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Battery life after JB Upgrade
wjmatth

Updated to JB this weekend.  Everything seems to work just fine.  However, the battery runs down much more quickly than prior to upgrade.  Have a co-worker with a Razr that has the same issue.  Any one else experiencing this?  Any ideas on cause?

0 Likes
Re: Battery life after JB Upgrade
tikibar1
MVP MVP
MVP

It could be that the operating system is still optimizing your phone.  If it hasn't settled down in a couple of days, you may want to do a system cache clear (that often helps with various issues after an OS update).

0 Likes
LeeE

I have the same issue since I upgraded to Jelly Bean.   It's still a massive issue with my extended battery, which is 50% more capacity than the stock battery.  The phone drains approx 10-12% of my battery per hour, while not being used, so at max it will run for 8-9 hrs before being empty.  That would be around 5 hrs on the original battery.  And that's without me using the phone.

In my case, the battery drain is caused by Media Server running nonstop in the background while it tries to deal with my 1,000 songs, 2000 photos, and 10 movies that are on my micro SD card.  There are tons of forum threads on this subject.

You can see if this (or something else) is your problem, by going to Settings->Battery to see what is using your battery.  In my case 75% of my battery use is from Media.   Media seems to be triggered to run by Gallery or by playing music or playing a video.   If I freeze the media app (with Titanium Backup), the battery drain stops, but then Gallery, Movies, music won't work any longer.  

Removing the micro SD Card also solves the problem.  Media no longer runs.  However, then I lose all the photos, music and videos stored on the phone since on-board storage is so limited.  Very frustrated that this problem appears to have been around since mid-2012 but not yet addressed by Google.  Or by Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I regret to hear that your battery is draining quickly wjmatth. We definitely want your phone to be running in great shape. Tikibar suggested clearing the system cache, which is a great step. This does not erase any data and helps resolve a lot of system issues after a software update. To clear system cache:

• Ensure the device is powered off.
Press and hold the Power button (located on the top edge) then select Power off.
Allow several seconds for the device to power off.
If the device doesn't respond to input, remove and replace the battery.
  • Simultaneously press and hold the Volume Up/Down keys the press the Power button until the Boot Mode Selection Menu appears then release all keys / buttons.
  • Press the Volume Down key to select Recovery then press the Volume Up key.
  • From the Android system recovery screen (Android figure with an exclamation point), simultaneously press the Volume up key and Volume down key.
  • Select clear system cache.
Utilize the Volume keys to highlight and the Power button to select.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LeeE

Clearing the cache was one of the very first things I did. 

Here is what I did before posting in this thread:

• Cleared the cache
  • Removed microSD card - Media runs for a little while then stops
  • Have "frozen" Media with Titanium Backup, which solved the battery issue, but then Gallery, Quickpick don't work.
  • SD Card - Checked for corrupt files, and deleted any images that were blank when viewed in Gallery.
  • Formatted SD card - Copied all the files/folders to my PC, then formatted the micro SC card, did error checking, etc (it was fine) and copied the files back
  • Nomedia - I added nomedia.nomedia to all the folders for Media to stop scanning

Only things that I had not yet tried were

• Removing the music, photos, movie files and running the phone without them on the SD card.
  • Did not yet do a factory reset

Motorola Level 2 support had me do a factory reset, losing all of my settings and programs.  This was after they did a remote diagnostics session with LogMeinRescue.  I will now need to spend a couple of months getting the phone back to normal.  Their assumption is that one or more of my apps was causing this issue, possibly not fully compatible with Jelly Bean.  Likely a misbehaving app calling for Media to run as a service.  One you performa a factory reset, if you don't log in with your Google account during the subsequent setup wizard, will not install any of the non-stock apps.  This allows one to check that battery life is ok with just stock Jelly Bean.

After the factory Reset - Battery life is now good and I have about half my apps reinstalled. The sad things is that I later learned that Jelly Bean has the ability to restart in Safe Mode without doing a factory reset. Safe Mode disables all of the non-stock apps for trouble-shooting.  The Motorola person didn't even mention this option, and may not have been aware of it.   Had I used Safe Mode, I would probably not needed to redo my entire phone.

0 Likes
dmw1

I had to wipe the cache, turn off Google now.  This improved things, but with the extended battery was still running out of power within 8 hours.  On my Bionic, it was the screen that was sucking the juice.  While the Jelly Bean Display setting was the same as ICS, I noticed the screen was significantly brighter and when I slid the setting bar there was no increase in brightness after about 60% on the slider which tells me the JB calibration is off.  So I made my brightness static at about 15%(even with this setting my screen is brighter than with ICS set to default) and checked "display power saver".   For wiping cache I had to take a slightly different approach I found on another forum:

- Power the device off.

- Press and hold the Volume Up/Down then press the Power button.

- When presented with the Boot Mode Selection Menu release all buttons.

- Press Volume Down to select Recovery then press Volume Up.

- From the Droid triage screen, FIRST press and hold Volume Down then press Volume Up while still holding Volume Down

- Select wipe cache partition then press the Power button.

- Select reboot system now then press the Power button.

0 Likes