Black Screen of Death
russianlit

I'm getting a black screen of death on my incredible 2. The navigation button lights (home, menu, back, search) are still on, the phone still rings, alarms still go off and the text message alert light still flashes on the top but the screen goes completely black. Taking the battery out and putting it back in is not fixing the problem. After a couple of hours, the phone did restart itself and worked again properly. But, today it has gone black again twice. Removing the battery worked today.

There isn't any water damage, I've never dropped it and I haven't installed any new/weird apps lately. Is this a hardware problem? The phone is over a year old but has always worked relatively well.

THX!

0 Likes
Re: Black Screen of Death
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

have you tried rebooting the phone?

0 Likes
russianlit

Yes. Several times. I have not done a factory reset. Sometimes taking the battery out and putting it back in fixes the problem. Sometimes not. I noticed it happens more frequently when the battery is nearly dead. It worked all afternoon and then just now shut off again. I took the battery out several times and that did not fix the problem. I plugged it in to the wall charger at home just now and it is working again...It is just frustrating because I don't know what is causing the black screen, I don't know when it will happen again and I don't know how to fix it...I'm not eligible for an upgrade for like 9 months.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

How frustrating.  I guess if all else fails, back everything up and try a factory reset.  May not make any difference, but at least you'll have given it a try.  Have you searched on this forum for other suggestions and/or called Customer Service?

0 Likes
russianlit

It is frustrating. haha. I was on the phone with customer service, well on

hold waiting, and the phone blacked out again. The next time I can get it

to come on, I'll do a factory reset. The customer service line said it's

experiencing a high volume of calls...so i'll wait for them and/or factory

reset...whichever comes first. Smiley Happy Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Good luck!

0 Likes
rxz5004

Did this reboot work? I am having the same problem. I think it may be related to overheating because it only seems to happen when my phone is in my pocket, charging, or I am in a call.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question, rxz5004!
In most cases, the reboot with work unless there is something else affecting your device.
Have you been able to test the rebooting?
I'm concerned with the device overheating! It is normal for the device to become warm to the touch but excessive heat is a problem that should be evaluated at the store along with all of your accessories (charger, docking station, car charger, etc.)

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes