Re: Broken DROID and no replacement: So disappointed... anyone have guidance
rickwhoo

I would just keep calling until they give you a droid that works or give you an incredible or x. Keep calling, it will work out in the end. Be persistant, works for me everytime.

0 Likes
mjyawn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeppers the squeaky wheel gets the grease!!! I am in the same boat verizon said they will let me know something today. I don't have a lot of faith in them though. One thing for sure I am not going away quitely!!!

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
Let us know how it goes
0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

Unfortunately, I think Verizon has a leg to stand on here.  The Droid and the Ally have very similar tech specs, and although the Ally has a lower initial purchase price, that's to be expected given that the Droid's price was set 2 years ago.  It says right in your contract that they can offer you an "similar or equivalent" device if an exact replacement isn't available, and both Assurion and Verizon include this language in their contracts for warranty and insurance coverage.

On the other hand, the Incredible and X are major hardware upgrades compared to the original Droid, and they are also substantially different in form factor (lacking a physical keyboard).  Just because you're unlucky with phones doesn't entitle you to a free upgrade, or everyone would be deliberately dropping their old Droids out of their pockets to get one too.

0 Likes
rickwhoo

LG ally is no wheres close to moto droid. Assurian and verizon will give you an Inc or X eventually. I have seen it done.

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

Look at the spec sheet, in terms of internal components, the only major difference is the lack of a dedicated GPU, and given that the Droid was released 2 years ago, it seems like a pretty equivalent device.  Identical? No, but the Droid is closer in form, function and capability to the Ally than it is to the Incredible or the X.

If Assurion wants to give people free upgrades for breaking their phones though, that's on them, but no one is entitled to that by their contract.  As soon as they start doing it you'd be **bleep** NOT to drop your phone in a pool.  Which, of course, is why they don't usually offer BETTER quality phones as replacements.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Played with the Ally the other day while waiting to look at the Droid X and was impressed.  As said above, it's definitely a lot more comparable to the Droid than the Droid is to the Incredible or Droid X.

0 Likes
rickwhoo

The droid has been out for less than a year, No way does the ally compare with the Droid, you dont know what your talking about.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Your point would be?  The Ally is newer than the Droid.  If I were in the market and wasn't into modding my phone, the Ally would've been my choice for a full qwerty Android smartphone.  Keyboard? Ally wins.  Ease of Answering calls? Ally wins.  Processing speed? Slight favor to the omap in the droid even though the ally is clocked faster.  Camera? Push.  Resolution/Screensize? Droid

http://www.wirefly.com/learn/resources/cell-phone-comparison/lg-ally-vs-motorola-droid/

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
@spottedcatfish

The ally isn't anywhere close. The gpu is reason enough against it. The contract promises service in effect for paying a monthly bill. Them subsidizing the cost is part of the contract. If I bought the phone outright it is different (hence no contract with outright purchase). That is reason enough in a court case if need be. Don't be a tool and defend these practices, you could have this problem any day.
0 Likes