Re: COST OF DROID WHEN ALREADY UPGRADED RECENTLY
joesym

can't they just move your existing number from the old line to the new line? i'm in the same boat and canceling my existing contract and then getting a new one is probably what i'll do. it's still cheaper than retail.

0 Likes
nurmia
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't think they would tranfer ur existing # to a new account. u'll probably have to get a new #. I don't want to do that.  i've had my number since the early 90's.  i'm soooo confused. i don't know what to do >>>>>terminate and sign up again with a new # or go to the iphone????? deicision decisions:smileyindifferent:

0 Likes
MAzing87

nurmia wrote:

I don't think they would tranfer ur existing # to a new account. u'll probably have to get a new #. I don't want to do that.  i've had my number since the early 90's.  i'm soooo confused. i don't know what to do >>>>>terminate and sign up again with a new # or go to the iphone????? deicision decisions:smileyindifferent:

How long does this process take (cancel existing contract, open up a new account and buy phone)?

0 Likes
cem95z
Contributor - Level 1

I hate to say it, but you will probably have to wait until Friday to get your exact answer as to what you will end up doing. If I was in your situation, and Verizon did not work with me, I would end up moving to the iphone and terminating my contract with VW... especially if ATT is willing to pay the fees (I have not heard that one.)

Most likely, you will be able to upgrade, just not at the 2 year price. It will likely be at the 1 year price, which is 50-100 more than the 2 year price...I heard $259. The good thing here is that you will stay in your same 2 year agreement, without extending your contract. I think the this requires that you not have insurance on your existing phone, so you might want to cancel the insurance if you have it (it wouldn't hurt since you are getting a new phone regardless, and can add it for the new phone at the time).

I do wish that Verizon would make it easier for us to buy the phone and learn about it... We have to go to off-verizon sights to learn about the phone. We can't pre-order unless thru Best Buy. They sure don't make the launch of a new product very easy on the customers!

0 Likes
nurmia
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks for that insight. I hope they do let u upgrade even if it's 50/100 more than  for new customers. that i would pay but not the $600. why would i have to terminate my insurance plan?

0 Likes
belanger

You cannot terminate a contract and then immediately sign up again and get the discounts as if you're a new customer.  There's some waiting period, I think like 6 months, before you could do that.

0 Likes
patrick_bateman

belanger wrote:

You cannot terminate a contract and then immediately sign up again and get the discounts as if you're a new customer.  There's some waiting period, I think like 6 months, before you could do that.

Again, if what you say is true, then Verizon employees haver their stories mixed up.  I was told by a customer rep that this was the primary option for avoiding paying the full retail price. 

0 Likes
PantslessJedi

patrick_bateman wrote:

belanger wrote:

Again, if what you say is true, then Verizon employees haver their stories mixed up.  I was told by a customer rep that this was the primary option for avoiding paying the full retail price. 

I guess we'll just have to find out on Friday.  I'm in pretty much the same boat.  The Droid wasn't in my sights at all, and I upgraded to a new phone using NE2 in March.  It IS cheaper to terminate and re-sign up, if they'll allow it. 

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

unfortunately for me switching to a new number will be a nightmare because i will have to jump through hoops to inform my company of my new number. something i want to avoid.

so i have no choice but to buy the phone outright.  good news is that my env3 is going for around $100 on the resale market, i have a rewards programs with my bank and just cashed in for a $200 gift card with Best Buy, and when i buy the phone my rewards program with best buy will be enough for a $25 gift card from Best Buy.

one thing about AT&T.  if your contract is up you can get a new phone for the price that a new customer would pay as well just have to start a new 2 year contract.  no $50 off.  However, the coverage still stunk to high heaven though and Verizon still has the better phones.

0 Likes
truelove79
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can't you just sign up for a new 2 year contract and the the droid for $199 (after the mail in rebate) like anyone else?  Granted you won't get the new every two discount and you'll have to commit to a new 2 years, but isn't that how it works?

0 Likes