Can anyone help me figure out if i can use my droid to get online with lapdown ?
rebas-scrapbook

I am having a very hard time with a certain problem. i am trying to cut cost at home and would like to get rid of my internet service with cable co. i am under the impression that i can use my droid to connect laptop to use online. can anyone please help me step by step with this if it is possible? please email me... thanks, kathryn

0 Likes
Re: Can anyone help me figure out if i can use my droid to get online with lapdown ?
Cody21
Master - Level 2

It's called "MOBILE HOT SPOT" and costs $20 per month extra over your current plan.

Step by Step?  Well, it's basically you 1st subscribe to the service (online Verizon), and then download &  launch and configure the APP that they provide.  Your PC should thne "see" the WiFi connection to access it.  (I don't use it, but it's probably not rocket science).  You can probably find a lot of info on this by using the SEARCH bar up above .. just key in "MOBILE HOT SPOT" ...

PS and heads up -- the HOT SPOT feature will likely NOT get you the same speeds that you're currently seeing with you ISP. In fact can be a lot slower....  unless you're 4G, then it will likely be faster.

0 Likes
Re: Can anyone help me figure out if i can use my droid to get online with lapdown ?
Wildman
Legend

Cody the prices have changed since the tier plans was added....

USB Modems & Dedicated Mobile Hotspots

Duration Data Amount Monthly Access

Day100MB$15
Week300MB$30
Month1GB$50
Month5GB$80
No activation or reconnection fees, and no overage charges.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

wow ... wasn't aware of that ...  (since I don't use it )... a SHOCKER ...   :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Cody21 wrote:

wow ... wasn't aware of that ...  (since I don't use it )... a SHOCKER ...   :smileyvery-happy:

I upgraded the feature on my account when I got my Thunderbolt, at that time they was offering the unlimited plans for existing upgrading customers, I decided that I was going to use it and with my Corp discount it only added about 20.00 to my bill.

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello rebas-scrapbook,

I can help clarify the feature you are referring to.  This feature is called Mobile hotspot and is an additional $20 feature allowing 2GB of usage as Cody 21 mentioned.  However, of 07/07/2011 this plan is only available for customers with an existing 3G Smartphone/basic phone with an unlimited data package 29.99 or higher.  After 07/07/2011 the pricing options for the mobile hotspot are listed when you click here (scroll to bottom) or when navigating to verizonwireless.com/plans.  I hope this helps you.  Thank you.  

0 Likes
alex49er

what do you think of this...

The FCC orders Verizon Wireless to pay
$1.25 million as settlement to the Treasury. This is just a parcel of the
carrier’s
$6.9 billion
revenue

it has gained from the mobile market in the second quarter of this year. The
company is also ordered to notify Google that the objection to the tethering
apps from the Play Store is now off. This means that when new tethering apps
become available in the app store, everyone would be able to download and use
them without additional fees even if they are Verizon
customers.

Verizon will, of course, continue to
charge its customers with their overall data use every month so for those who
have capped data will not be able to enjoy tethering functionality but the ones
with unlimited data plans are the luckiest. The FCC’s ruling made everybody a
winner; consumers under the network would be able to share their connection, app
developers don’t fear of being blocked when releasing tethering apps, and
Verizon can attract more customers to subscribe to their unlimited
plan.

Read more at http://thedroidguy.com/2012/08/fcc-mandates-verizon-to-allow-tethering-apps-on-android-smartphones/#...

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think it's old news that has been reported previously in several threads on this forum (search is your friend)

0 Likes