Can we band together a get a Class Action Lawsuit going?
atailor

I have had a Motorola Droid Bionic for over a year.  I have constantly had problem in data connectivity.  I went the Verizon Wireless Store and they replaced my sim card, twice.  This has not resolved the problem.  It's gotten to a point where I have no data connectivity for atleast 60% of my day.  After reading through many of these threads, I feel that a class action lawsuit filed against Verizon Wireless might be in order.  We have all paid for data service that we aren't able to use.  We should all get refunds on data service as well as a credit towards any phone of our choice.

Just wanted to hear other Bionic users thoughts....

0 Likes
Re: Can we band together a get a Class Action Lawsuit going?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You better read your Customer Agreement before going further.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
elef
Enthusiast - Level 3

she's 100% right. contractually, we cannot sue them in class action.

0 Likes
Not applicable

whenever I read these thread I can't believe how stupid people are. Do you actually think a class action suit would do you any good even if you won? By the time it went through the courts and appeals process you might get something in about 5 or 6 years. You know after you've been eligible for 3 upgrades. And if you're lucky what you get would be be $30 off any upgrade rebate at best. Hardly worth the effort. Let's not even mention that this would be a problem you need to take up with the MANUFACTURER not Verizon.

0 Likes
elef
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree. There's no point to suing VZW or initiating an arbitration action or anything like that.

But, blaming the manufacturer is wrong. Moto has released 9 usable builds so far. Verizon is the one holding up the updates. Look at other VZW android devices from other manufacturers (HTC, Samsung) and you will see that the problem is VZW.

EDIT: I also think you misunderstand the point of a class action lawsuit. Its not about the plaintiffs getting lots of money in damages. It acts as a check on the unscrupulous behavior of corporations. However, its a moot point.

0 Likes
Not applicable

elef wrote:

I agree. There's no point to suing VZW or initiating an arbitration action or anything like that.

But, blaming the manufacturer is wrong. Moto has released 9 usable builds so far. Verizon is the one holding up the updates. Look at other VZW android devices from other manufacturers (HTC, Samsung) and you will that the problem is VZW.

EDIT: I also think you misunderstand the point of a class action lawsuit. Its not about receiving the plaintiffs getting a big settlement. It acts as a check on the unscrupulous behavior of corporations. However, its a moot point.

I highly doubt the OP just wants a "moral" victory in court. I'm 99% sure he's also seeking financial compensation.

0 Likes
elef
Enthusiast - Level 3

A "moral victory" would be nominal damages. $1 usually.  I assume that's not what we're talking about. A judgement entailing significant damages would be more than a moral victory, even if plaintiffs only receive a tiny fraction of it. It would send a message to VZW, because the only language they understand is money.But yeah that's neither here nor there. That's why my next phone will be unlocked and I will pre-pay.

0 Likes
Not applicable

elef wrote:

A "moral victory" would be nominal damages. $1 usually.  I assume that's not what we're talking about. A judgement entailing significant damages would be more than a moral victory, even if plaintiffs only receive a tiny fraction of it. It would send a message to VZW, because the only language they understand is money.But yeah that's neither here nor there. That's why my next phone will be unlocked and I will pre-pay.

I guess your service it won't be through Verizon then.

0 Likes
elef
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nope. Why pay for a data plan when your phone cannot authenticate a data signal?  Why by a Nexus from VZW device when they don't upgrade it in a timely fashion? Why pay top dollar for a phone that won't work when you travel overseas? Why be stuck with bloat and locked bootloaders? Why be under the thumb of a company against which you have no remedy?

I'll pay a few hundred dollars more on the front end and save myself thousands in lost productivity, headaches and unused data in the long term.

0 Likes
Not applicable

elef wrote:

Nope. Why pay for a data plan when your phone cannot authenticate a data signal?  Why by a Nexus from VZW device when they don't upgrade it in a timely fashion? Why pay top dollar for a phone that won't work when you travel overseas? Why be stuck with bloat and locked bootloaders? Why be under the thumb of a company against which you have no remedy?

I'll pay a few hundred dollars more on the front end and save myself thousands in lost productivity, headaches and unused data in the long term.

WHY are you posting here then? You obviously have no intention on being a Verizon customer.

0 Likes