Contacts are Duplicating!!!
beracing115

New to the Droid world, and so I've had to go about moving over contacts from my old phone.  The rep at the Verizon store moved from my old BB Storm II, over to new phone.  I also have three emails, FB, and other social accounts, which the phone now has created duplicates all through my list. 

I'd did find on a couple of "my accounts", that I could uncheck contacts.  Yahoo email and Tango.  Can't seem to do that for my FB or my local internet provider account.  I've tried to join entries, but whatever I do, I guess its the backup assistant that syncs, just undoes all the work I've done. I did find on my Google account that I had to set up, a place to uncheck the contacts, so I did that, but still I'm just not sure where all the dupes keep finding their way back to my phone! 

I'm going to sync up to my work server this week, so now I'm afraid I'm only going to compound the issue even further!! 

HELP!!!  Is there a place online that I can go to clean the list up on this site and hopefully get sync to just look at my backup list?  What other choices do I have????  This is frustrating!! :smileymad:

0 Likes
Re: Contacts are Duplicating!!!
beracing115

Well.. An update....

I've some headway, but very little.  It seems I can "join" some entries, but not others...  THEN, after doing a few, I start getting an error message saying their was an error w/ the contact and could not save the join. 

This is really frustrating!! 

And...  When you use the backup assistant on your phone, does it not show up in your online account here?  I go to my backup area, and don't see any but my own personal contact info.  Nothing else! 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

if you have sync'd your backup assistant account from your phone to your my verizon account, then they should all be there. 

it can get a bit confusing as android is powered by google and many of us export our "phone" contacts to our "google" contacts and just use our google account. when i did this i ended up with duplicates of everything. i am not familiar with motorola devices, but there is a way to "unsync" any account. if it's nowhere in your settings, then you can unsync the facebook contacts from inside of the facebook app somehow.... but most devices have an area in the setting to uncheck any account that has been sync'd (google, facebook, backup assistant, etc)

0 Likes
beracing115

I've ran the backup assistant on my phone, but I still don't see my contacts.  I thought if I could get to them online, de-dupe them, and sync back to the phone, it may work.. Not sure...

I've also started getting an error message when I've tried to join contacts to help get rid of duplicates.  It's like the whole contacts widget starts bogging down, and then says it can't join the contact info from the list.  I had to force close it a couple of times because of it...

Any more thoughts or suggestions????

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

don't know. for now i'm living with the duplicates. i exported all of my "phone's" (backup assistant) contacts to my google acount a while back and then sync'd google contacts to my phone, so my contacts are all duplicated. when i have time to go through and make sure ALL of them are in my google contacts (since i've added a few), i am planning on just deleting the phone's contacts and using google from now on. i've never tried to join them. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Try Importing all contacts to Google and then all you have to do is check the double entries and select delete..

1. Log into Verizon Backup Assistant
2. Click on Export to CSV
3. Save File as (or Rename to) Contacts (it should already be converted to CSV so including .csv is redundant)
4. Log into Gmail/Google Voice
5. Click on Contacts
6. Click on Import
7. Browse for the Contacts (.csv) file
8. Click Import

9. Disable BA by going to Settings / Applucations . Manage Applications / All Tab / Sync Service / Clear All

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Wildman if i do a Fr on my Inc. an save the contacts to the Sd card.  Export them to the Sd card.  cant i just import back to the phone or do i have to choose Google or B A . I was thinking i could just import them back.

0 Likes
sf100

I had some duplicates also and deleted them from my contact list on the phone. Some of those were people that I had "circled" in my google+ account, and the act of deleting the contact on the phone removed them from my circles.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

You could but I dont see how that would resolve a duplicate contact issue because the backup will have the duplicate contacts also..

0 Likes
beracing115

I would love to do that, but I can't even get my contacts to sync on BUA.  Assistant shows only a "Me" entry.  I've ran it from both the phone and online, still no luck.    I thought once you set up your Gmail account it would sync your contacts automatically, assuming you leave the sync functions checked during setup.  Which I have...  still no luck on Gmail either.

I"m seeing more posts about this very issue, but I've not seen any clear answers.  Deletes reappear, contact info inside the contact itself is duplicated, triplicated, etc if it tied to company...  This is very annoying!!! 

Another trip to the Verizon store to see what they say... 

Anyone????  Anybody else figure out this bug????

0 Likes